Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the thicknesses of the aluminum sheet metal and the gauge of the chassis tubing on the '33 HR. I am ordering Cleco fasteners and I need to know the grip depth. I know your itching to do some measuring... Almost ready to put in my order to FF.
Thanks,
Carl

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
You can get them from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty for $.48 Ea. That's where I get mine and grip length has never been an issue with the ones they supply. I have about 60 of the 1/8" size and more of other sizes. You'll only need the 1/8" size ut the others and the side clamps come in handy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
+1
I used 1/8 where the aluminum met the chassis and they worked perfectly countless times

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
The ones I bought from Aircraft spruce are probably 20 years old. The have an east and west coast outlet and shipped the same day. I've built 5 airplanes with them and numerous cars.

Do your self a favor and buy two sets of cleco pliers. I set mine down and then spend 20 minutes looking for them. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No one chimed in with the thicknesses of the aluminum sheet metal and the gauge of the chassis tubing on the '33. I guess the thickness is not an issue. Also the diameter of the Cleco is not either, even though I will use 10-32 machine screws ? I would still like to know the metal thickesses.
Thanks everyone
regards,
Carl

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
tubes

The Firewall is 1/8 thick and the rest is .04 thick. The chasiss tubes are probably 1/16 or less.
Mike
I just measured the wall thickness on the chunk of Sq tube I cut out to
change my 4 link set-up. It was .095 and I (assume) that all the 1.5 tubing is the same wall thickness, since the radius corners look identical. Normally different wall tubing has different radius corners so they do look unique for each wall type.
HTH
Dale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts