Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys,
Yesterday was the first full day of totally legal running. I put on a total of 80+ miles on the car to start the breakin of the engine and make sure everything else was okay. Two problems came up from the run one was the fuel guage, under a 1/4 tank the guage seems to work fine and even at a full tank reads full and then some. Won't move until it starts to gets near empty again and then it bounces all over the place. No problems under acceleration or cornering either.

Anybody know whats up or have the same problem?

The second problem was when going over bumps the doors were popping open. I tried to do some adjusting but it did not seem to help.

Again anyone have this problem and how did you correct it?
Sorry about the long post and thanks for the help in advance.
Todd

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Mustang fuel sender is famous for staying on Full and not moving until almost empty, then it really moves.

My doors popped open when I would hit bumps or over railroad tracks. The problem was they were not closing all the way. I lubed the heck out of them with WD40 until everything lubricated nice and easy. No more doors popping open.

Hope this helps.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I close my doors should the two latches at the back be very close to even or does the one pertrude father out than the other.
Thanks,
Todd

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
You can adjust the striker by adding/removing the washers on the stud. You will know when the door closes completely on the striker.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,761 Posts
Hey Todd,

Were you the green FFR running around Novi yesterday. If it was, you drove right past my house. I tried to get your attention, but it was too late.

See ya

[ June 02, 2002, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Lancair IV ]

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I try and adjust the latches just a litle more.

Anyone have the same problem with the fuel sender?

Rob, no it was not me, mine is silver and I was running around Flint, Brighton, and Howell. Went up to Flint to meet Mark Weber and see the build school and some of the others that were showing up. Then drove into Brighton and Howell on 23 & 96. It was great to finally get it on the road.
Todd

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Make sure the latch is properly closing as stated above. The striker has a hole in it that only appears to hold the screw in place. Actually it is where the pin from the locking mechanism locks in place. Getting that aligned is what will keep your doors closed. The striker and the mechanism should be flush when properly engaged.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
The rheostat wires in your fuel sender are worn through. Happens alot in high mileage cars. You need a new sender.

·
Planning & Saving
601 Posts
Todd,

Are you using the Anti-slosh module off the donor guages? It's a small circuit board off the back of the guage pod. Even if you're using after-market guages, I think you still may need this.

Trav

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I have the door latches squared away just need some longer screws to finish the work.

Thanks Wade, I figured that was going to be the end result.

Trav, I don't have the anti slosh module but there is not a problem when I am driving the needle holds its position very well, it's just when it is filling or going down that it doesn't work properly.
What does a new sender cost these days?

Thanks again,
Todd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts