Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the proper ride height is pretty important. You don't want to be scraping the frame rails all the time, and you don't want to look like a 4x4. It should be 3.5-4.5" in the front, and 4.5-5.5" in the rear. The actual height that works for you depends on the suspension set up and what you do with the car. BUT, if you raise or lower the car much beyond those specs, you'll change the suspension geometry; and that's not a good thing.

Now, what's MORE important than ride height is suspension balance and cross weights. Do a google search on "cross weights", and then do a forum search. You'll find lots of good reading and some good pictures.

So, what's the best way to set ride height? It should be simple, reproducable, and maintain a good balance.

Start by choosing a ride height. At first, I would recommend 5" rear, and 4" front. It's easy to change later, so don't get too hung up on it for now.

Remove the front tires, and adjust the spring collers so they just touch the tops of the springs. Do the same in the rear.

Put the wheels on the ground, and roll the car back and forth a few times to settle the suspension. Measure ride height.

When you make an adjustment to the front, adjust both collers the exact same amount. Do the same in the rear - making the exact same adjustment on each side. Hint: a 1" change in coller location will NOT = a 1" change in ride height.

The ride height will probably not be exactly the same left to right. That's OK. If you're looking for 4", and one side is 3.8" and the other side is 4.2", perfect, leave it there.

If you can get the car on the scales, that's pretty helpfull. But for a street car certainly not required. When I installed new springs on my car, I set the ride height as described above. When I got it on the scales, the balance was perfect. I didn't change a thing.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/277169-cross-weights-ride-height.html

1 - 1 of 1 Posts