Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what is the setup for the separate hood and hood scoop combination that Lancair IV used on his car? I want to use the exposed rivets and Love his look.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,761 Posts
Hey buggs. Thanks for the compliment.

I'll give you the cliff notes edition. If you want more detailed instructions, I can write something up. No big deal.

I purchased the aluminum hood scoop from finish line. Here's how I removed the origonal hood scoop. I filled the scoop with foam, sanded the underside to the contour of the hood, glassed over the entire underside with 2 to 3 bid, turned the hood over, cut the scoop off, filled the area where the scoop used to be with micro balloons and epoxy, sanded that to the outside contour of the hood, glassed 3 or 3 bid over the top of the hood, placed the scoop where I wanted it, drilled the holes with a #30 drill into the hood and scribed a line from the outside of the scoop. Remove the scoop, measured in toward the center of the hood the width of the flange of the scoop, then cut the hole along that line.

Hope this helps

·
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang! I was hoping you had purchased a hood without a scoop for an easier retrofit.

OK, second question. I noticed you had all of the rivets in place prior to paint (along the edge of the hood) are you using rivets or some type of removable faster like an ss head screw?

How did you fasten or how did you protect at paint. Sorry if I am asking too many questions... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Tristates hood, it comes solid and they sell a seperate scoop (or the Finishline one)
It seems pricey, but comes with a cool original style hinge. Combined it's essentially the same $$s as the stock FFR hood and optional hinge.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
I went with the Tri-states unit and very pleased with all around fit, look, and operation of hinge. No rivets use the stainless number 8 button head screws.

link below to some pic's

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
511 Posts
I've wondered if one couldn't take some laminated glass stock and cut it to look like the hood scoop flange. It could be bonded to the hood around the original scoop and some material feathered in where it meets the scoop to look like it was a seperate piece.

John

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
John,
The ACE/AC hood has a pronounced bulge that is in the scoop area, so a flat insert will not fit unless you want to feather that area from 0-1/4" in fillers.
Besides these REPLICA "R" hood shells are cheap w/o the scoop, just cut the 9"x14" hole and throw on the $39.00 scoop per instructions. NO BIGGIE.
grumpy

·
Senior Charter Member
665 Posts
Originally posted by mikiec:
I got my scoop from FFR when I ordered the car.

Mike
Mike, is that scoop larger than the molded in one? So if you remove the molded scoop and attach that one is will cover the hole completely?

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
TMC

Yes, It covers the hole completely.

When cutting off the old scoop cut where the scoop starts to raise, then trim.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts