Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try selling my '95 M3 on EBay, but have never sold a car that way before. Does anyone have experience doing that kind of sales, and are there any tips or cautions you can share? Thanks.

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
Make sure you set a reserve price on your auction. Check other comparable ads & see which are doing better than others & why. BE HONEST! Keep an eye on the ebay fee's they have almost doubled in the last year. Make sure you know what you'll be spending to sell your car & lastly, don't fall for the old "I'll send you a certified check for double, then ship me the car with the rest of the cash to nigeria" bit... Good Luck, Pat

·
Senior Charter Member
1,724 Posts
Yeah, make sure you don't fall for any scams. No second/.third parties. Many will say they have a buyer out of the country. Then they say they will pay you more than you are asking........scam.

Best way to ask/require a deposit of say $1000 within 24 hours and balance within a specified timeframe.

List VIN number and say its carfax certified or autocheck certified, or have a copy to show its never been wrecked, etc.

Lots of pics, good information, look around see what its worth and what others are selling for.

If you don't want the hassles of Ebay, checkout
autotrader.com, I have gotten far more for my car this way. Its same price as ebay and listed for what you want UNTIL it sells. Ebay you are stuck with 7 or 9 days period.

Good luck, JQ

·
15,282 Posts
I sold a 911 on eBay once. I used a reserve price just to make sure I got the minimum I was willing to take. I also had a "buy-it-now" in case someone really wanted it right away without messing with the auction -- that price was a few grand higher than the minimum reserve, obviously. The car wound up selling at standard auction for significantly more than the reserve, and just less than the BIN price.

USE ESCROW. This protects the buyer and the seller, and you can specify that the buyer pays. Here's how I did it... I took a $1000 non-refundable deposit. The rest of the money was sent to the escrow agent. The car was shipped. The guy had a week or 100 miles to inspect the car. If he didn't approve, he had to ship it back to me, and I kept the deposit. He did approve, and the escrow company then sent me a certified check for the remainder of the funds.

It worked out very well, and I think cost me a total of about $150 to sell at the time. Good luck!

Cheers, John

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
John, very sound advice from these guys. Like JQ, I have had better luck with autotrader.com or collectortrader.com for older cars than with ebay. I sold a half dozen vehicles on autotrader without a problem and the buyers were there as buyers. On ebay, I find some people there as bidders only who might buy in the future. It must be some kind of addiction that they have to get in, discover your reverse (I also recommend you use one if you go ebay), but don't really want to purchase right now. Hello, my name is Mark and I'm a bidder... Anyway, when I sold my Ferrari California reproduction on ebay, I had two different guys contact me before the auction was over to try to get the car super cheap with "cash in hand" stories. Both were disfunctionally concerned about getting the car before someone else overbid them. It was insane...

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
I SOLD 2 CARS ON EBAY. WORKED OUT AWESOME.
i dont even mess with the newspaper ads anymore, you pay the same as ebay, but you will get 1000 hits on ebay and only a few interested parties from the paper. plus they buyer is usually not from your area so you dont have to be bothered if a nickel and dime problem comes up right after you sell it to them.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS all you guys! I'm going to revise my sale plan and take advantage of all this good advice. Will let you know how it comes out. This car is my FFR build $$, so I want it to bring as much as possible on sale!

[ March 16, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: John Phillips ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts