Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of selling the Cobra. I've had it running for a couple of years, been to a lot of shows, and had a lot of fun but I'm ready to move on.

I have never registered the car. I still have the Factory Five MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin). It says 1965.

Question.....should I get a Texas title that may or may not say 1965 (might say 2005) or should I sell the car with the MSO ??? I have no idea where the new purchaser may live and thus his states rules and loopholes. Any and all suggestions would be great!! Thanks

·
Junior Charter Member
1,314 Posts
here in Colorado, an MSO cannot be signed over (like a title) unless you hold a dealers license. I was told that we are one of the only states to do so though.

Check with your local DMV, Texas may be different.

·
4,494 Posts
Suggest you talk to some of the Texas guys. There are enough Texas FFR owners out there that you should be able to get some good verified info.

Good Luck

·
6,305 Posts
Originally posted by HarleyCop:
I've been thinking of selling the Cobra. I've had it running for a couple of years, been to a lot of shows, and had a lot of fun but I'm ready to move on.
I have never registered the car. I still have the Factory Five MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin).
So have you been driving this thing for the past 2 years with no registration or do I have that wrong? Unless this is a track only car that never touches the street I think you need to get registered. Unless you didn't want the buyer to know it was completed two years ago and you drove it all over creation, what's the point? Anybody that buys a used car that has never been registered is a dunce.
Frank

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
I am along the same lines as Frank not trying to start trouble but you will get a lot further selling a car that has been registered than one that has not??

I bought a field rodent of a mustang from a guy in RI some 10 years ago. Since cars 25 years or older did not have titles in RI the registration from the car was the only thing that could say it was really his. While the registration was expired for over 8 years the DMV required I product it or no go on my end for registration or a title search which would have been fruitless since there was no title.

Your MSO logic may case problems.. I believe it all depends on the car and the state it ends up in....

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
HC,

Not sure of the older MSO/MCO's, but the newer ones have an assignment form on the back so that the paperwork can be transferred between owners. Of course you will need to find a friendly automobile dealer willing to facilitate such a transaction, that and you will need a notarized "Bill of Sale" transferring the car from you to the dealer and/or the next person in the line of ownership. I've done this twice now without a hitch...One car went to Illinois, the other went to Nebraska.......

Hope you find this helpful.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I purchased an unfinished FFR from a California owner, who bought it from a Colorado owner, who bought it from a Penn. owner Mike Mack (Tri-State), who bought it from Factory Five Racing.

But, it was not finished, had not been on the road, no mileage. With my additional receipts and box of parts finished the car. I had no problems with DMV here in California since I had a paper trail of Sales Receipts from each buyer. I would think it would be ok as an uncompleted car, just parts were sold (to each and everyone until it reached me, I mean them).

I have to agree with Frank in the above reply, get it registered then sell. Or, you'll have to take it all apart and sell it as parts with the MCO. Now, every state could be different so you'll have to warn the buyer and maybe loose the sale with just the MCO. So, it's best to get it registered then the buyer will have no problems with a simple transfer.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would like to know how you insured and registered the car to drive. I travel to Texas frequently and the cars down there have stickers all over the windshields.
Thanks,
Michael D.

·
Cobra Nutcase
1,633 Posts
Texas is a crap shoot as far as getting registered as a 1965. Most are unsuccessful these days. Mine was registered as a 2004 ASVE 1965 Cobra Replica. I would go try to register as a 65, if they won't let you then take your paperwork and leave, then sell with the MCO if it's possible. If it's registered as a 65, then anyone should be able to transfer it as a 65 just like any other 65 would transfer.

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
My thoughts would be dealer - using dealer plates. That's one way of never registering it.
JimmyZ

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Taking the driving two years issue aside...I am sure he did it legally.

I would try and register the car. That way if it gets a 1965 registration, its value has just risen significantly. If it gets registered as a 2005, then at least it is a legitimate car which will give the new buyer peace of mind.

·
Charter Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everybodys 2 cents so far. Would a 1965 registration/title be "that" much more vauable than a 2005 registration/title. I'm guessing that it would depend on the state that it goes to.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,399 Posts
Yes, emissions testing could change things greatly. An 05 registration could mean the difference of licenseing or not in some states
Marc A

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought 3792 in a partially finished condition with the signed over MCO. When you do this you will need a bill of sale for the kit with the MCO and receipts for all the major components. The MCO covers only the kit, not all the stuff it takes to complete it. And guess what, unless you have already paid them, the state will want sales tax on everything.
Get it registered and save the buyer a lot of hassle.

·
5,559 Posts
Being that your car is carbed, you should certainly try to register as a '65 if you can. If you sell to someone in MA, or CA, for example, they would never pass current emmission standards without converting to efi, or at the very least, cats, and a lot of tuning. Like others have said, it is a lot easier for the buyer of a complete car to register if he can just do a transfer of title, rather than deal with a box of receipts, and all of the related issues that go along with that route...

·
15,282 Posts
I was successful in obtaining a Texas title reading 1965, about four months ago. Where you live in Texas, it should be easy. It's the big cities where they have gotten to be sticklers about ignoring the rules. A small-town tax assessor will hook you up. There are plenty of posts on how to legally register as a '65 in Texas - do a search or two.

Everything said above about 1965 titles is true. It will keep you emissions exempt, it will bypass things like SB100 in California, and so on. Definitely positive for the value of your car. Good luck.

Cheers, John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,716 Posts
In Md I bought a car titled in Va as a 65.When I went to title it in Md w/ historic plates the Va 65 title made this real easy.OTOH, some states require the car titled as the year the kit was manufactured regardless of when it was put on the road.Overall I suspect it will be easier to sell w/ a title.Good luck buy sorry to lose you on the forum!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts