Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a MK III Roadster I need to sell.

The Car is almost done at this point too.

Whats the best way to advertise and sell a 90% finished FFR?

I have a Big Block 390FE with 5 SPD TKO with about 23 miles on it. I am at the point to Register with DMV here in Ca.

Is eBay motors a safe way to do this?

Thanks.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Why not here in the Classifieds? Also on clubcobra.com?

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Ebay is the best bang for your buck and I consider it cheap "world wide" advertising at the very least. Of course if your car is not yet titled you will get less than if your car is already titled as many do not want to go through the hassle of doing so the first time around. If you are at the point of getting on the CA DMV merry-go-round, then I say do that first and then place the car up for sale.

Other places besides those already mentioned would be the local Mustang and Shelby clubs (if they do not have web sites, then send them a letter asking them to put it in their newsletter), classic cars online, papershop online, cobracountry dot com, and collector car trader.

Wish you the best of luck with your sale.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I've said it before; selling your car on this website is foolish. I love this website, but we all know too much about these cars, and have too strong of opinions on how we feel they should be appointed. This website devalues our cars; it's evident when you see all of our comments like "That car doesn't have IRS, or 3-link", or "It's only a 4-lug setup", etc, etc. We knock them down as a knee-jerk reaction, and thus devalue them. If someone is looking to buy a replica, and stumbles across our website, they will start to form a skewed opinion about how much these cars sell for.

I say eBay all the way.

·
Registered
648 Posts
With only 10% to go why not finish it before you sell it . That last 10% will fetch you 20 to 40% more money. Very few people want to pick up someone else's project. If they are project minded they will build thier own. Someone wanting to own and drive a cobra will buy a completed car.

Just my 2 cents use what you want of it and discard the rest.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was in Riverside last week. Did I see you driving it on Magnolia Ave?
Tom

·
BLUBLUR
990 Posts
Does it have the SB100?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Originally posted by gwfortune:
Hi all,

I have a MK III Roadster I need to sell.

The Car is almost done at this point too.

Whats the best way to advertise and sell a 90% finished FFR?

I have a Big Block 390FE with 5 SPD TKO with about 23 miles on it. I am at the point to Register with DMV here in Ca.

Is eBay motors a safe way to do this?

Thanks.
It's NOT SAFE at all if you don't take precautions to protect yourself. You need to educate yourself about all of the scams. Don't let your car out of your sight until your bank gives you the all clear (this can take 2-4 weeks.) Speak to the bank manager and explain that you don't know the person that issued the check and you want to be absolutely sure the check isn't a forgery before you turn loose of the car. By all means DO NOT respond to anyone that wants to send you extra money and then have you send some of it back to them. SCAM SCAM SCAM.. I personally wouldn't do business with anyone in any country other than the USA or Canada, but that's up to you. I personally have sold hundreds of items on eBay and have never been burned, but once again, you have to be cautious, especially when conducting a 30-40K transaction.

Do you have any Classic Car - Resto/Mod Dealers near you? I don't know about finishing your car, but I bet you could find one to take your car in on consignment and you would get top dollar. It's a win-win situation for the dealer. If displayed where passing motorists could see it, it would draw lots of customers into the business.

·
Still broke & dreaming...
2,205 Posts
I'll save you the hassle of selling it. Just sign it all over to me, and I'll take care of it for you.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
What's left to do on the car?
I'm in Riverside also,maybe you can organize a "finish build" party and get the rest of it done.
Good Luck,
Paul M.

·
Senior Charter Member
610 Posts
I've said it before; selling your car on this website is foolish. I love this website, but we all know too much about these cars, and have too strong of opinions on how we feel they should be appointed. This website devalues our cars; it's evident when you see all of our comments like "That car doesn't have IRS, or 3-link", or "It's only a 4-lug setup", etc, etc. We knock them down as a knee-jerk reaction, and thus devalue them. If someone is looking to buy a replica, and stumbles across our website, they will start to form a skewed opinion about how much these cars sell for.
It pains me but I think I agree to some point. Good for sale section.......tough competition. then again, anyone who comes here to do their homework would find the same info. I think we all should value our cars more whether keeping or selling.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I dont think posting your car here would be foolish. The site is free, it gets alot of visitors, no one can bash your car in the for sale section anymore and It cant hurt to try. I would not use this as the only selling sorce but put it here, put the price that you want on it and see what happens.
I have sold 6 classic cars on Ebay and have had good results on all of them. 4 of them I got more than I wanted. I have also bought several projct cars on Ebay wth good results. As AC said above, be very carful on Ebay transactions, there is alot of con artists out there.

William

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been watching e-bay for months now and just bought a 95% complete FFR that is sweet! Lot's of buying and selling going on there. Type in "Cobra Replica" in the search area and see what's out there. Good luck!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
gbranham,
I totally agree. If I were buying a cobra this forum is where I'd find the best car for my buck!
I've said it before and got "jumped-on" but we just don't seem to include our labor in our pricing when we sale.
Soooo...go ahead and jump on me again but you won't change my mind. Just my .02 cents.
Take care,
Ron

·
Junior Charter Member
470 Posts
I would sell it on eBay

when I was first interested in buying a cobra It didn't even cross my mind to build one. I knew of kit companies but never even thought of myself building one. So naturally the first place I looked is eBay.

luckily there were no roadsters that interested me at the time so I did a bit more research and found this place. But it wasn't until after I already purchased my kit that I even noticed that completed roadsters were sold here.

Also I would finish your car, as others stated if someone is looking through eBay they are looking to buy a car, not a project.

Jerry

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
cruise around where the deep pockets are like a
high end marina, million dollar homes, around country clubs etc.
park it in the marina parking lot and wait..no for sale sign...they will come. These are toy oriented types in the first place and $35k ain't much to these guys..make them believ they are buying it from you instead of you trying to sell them...my 2

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
E-bay is an auction. Yes, I know you knew that. But think about what that means. In the short 10 day period that it's on the block, you may or may not get a buyer that believes it's the perfect car/project for them. You have to be able to accept your minimum bid/reserve without remorse. I think e-bay should be used for a quick and dirty sale only.

OTOH, you can advertise in a variety of places: old car trader, classic cars sales paper and web sites, etc. Start buy doing a google search for things cobra for sale, hot rod sale, classic car sale. Then you can get a good feel for going prices and places to advertise. If you've advertised well, and are patient, you'll get your asking price.

As for finishing the car, I think it's true you'll get more potential buyers, a quicker sale, and a better price. But you'll also take more time, and spend a little more money. Sometimes it's not worth it.

If you don't have the magic SB100 number, you won't be able to register the car in CA until next year. Neither will the buyer. But you can sell it to anyone who doesn't live in CA without any problems.

Regardless of who buys it and where they're from, be sure and provide original reciepts for everything and the MSO. They may need them for insurance and/or registration purposes.

·
2,630 Posts
Put together the Build Party, as regardless of where you choose to sell, the finished car will be much more marketable. As Paul M. (Cannonball Cobra) mentioned, there's a number of us in the Riverside area who'd be glad to help.

Karen
FFR Spec Challenge Series #28

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
If you don't have the magic SB100 number, you won't be able to register the car in CA until next year. Neither will the buyer. But you can sell it to anyone who doesn't live in CA without any problems.

You may or may not need to go the SB100 route for this motor. It depends on what year the 390 is, since the CA smog would have to meet the year of the engine. If this motor is an early 60's 390, this would be a good selling point in CA, since only a PVC would be required. It would be worth finding out what year 390 you have, and including the information in your ad if it is an early one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts