Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my wind wings. After 10 years they are getting tired, and some of the scratches are not buffing out.

What material is the preferred choice? Lexan, Tempered glass. or Plexi ??

My wings are still ok to use for a pattern, and I will probably have new wings cut locally unless there is a readily available option from a vendor.

Thanks, Derald.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
We are in the same situation. My wings are badly crazed after 8 years out in the elements. I just bought a 3/16 X 12 X 24 sheet of Polycarbonate sheet from McMASTER-Carr and am going to try and cut my own. I'm going to slightly redesign and enlarge them a bit. If I don't like them that way I can always trim them down to the original size and shape. Should know the results in a week or so. Bob

c

·
Registered
919 Posts
I went with the Glass Wind Wings from Finishline to avoid the degradation what you are seeing from age and use. Glass would be my first choice and acrylic second. Acrylic has a harder surface and is more resistant to scratching and UV degradation than PC. Poly-carbonate is tougher but I don't think you need that toughness for the wind wings.

Jack

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
i would get glass too, use the old as a pattern, have it cut at a autoglass house and made out of laminated safety, several tints to the glass is available too.

my plan is to do this too

·
6,279 Posts
I went with the Glass Wind Wings from Finishline to avoid the degradation what you are seeing from age and use. Glass would be my first choice and acrylic second. Acrylic has a harder surface and is more resistant to scratching and UV degradation than PC. Poly-carbonate is tougher but I don't think you need that toughness for the wind wings.

Jack
X2 from finishline. 4 years now and love them.

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
Lexan (Polycarbonate) from Home Depot cuts surprisingly easily with a jig saw and a fine toothed blade. sand and smooth the edges, then "polish" up the edges with a blowtorch on low. you'll be amazed at how well it comes out.

i have made many "sneezegaurds" at my old work for food service equipment, i have not had a chance to make ones for my roadster as of yet.

does anybody know if the Finishline Glass Windwings are made of safety glass?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, looks like I will be using the glass option. And, thanks for reminding me that it needs to be safety glass, I might have asked for the wrong thing.

I might also consider doing the sunvisors at the same time.

Thanks again, Derald.

does anybody know if the Finishline Glass Windwings are made of safety glass?
The description on their website says that it is safety.

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
i have made many "sneezegaurds" at my old work for food service equipment, i have not had a chance to make ones for my roadster as of yet.
Why does your roadster need a sneeze guard?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.