Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear your advice on the pros and cons of these two suspension choices. My Mk4 kit is due in August and I am doing a donor build. I will be using the live axle from the donor. I can (1) use the coil springs, control arms, and quad shocks from the donor or (2) upgrade my 4-link with FFR coilovers and stronger control arms.

The donor control arms have already been upgraded with polyurethane bushings and I can keep the rear antisway bar if I use the donor lower control arms. The donor springs and sway bar are stiffer than most mustangs because it is a Cobra. The donor car takes corners like it is on a rail. So stiff you can run over a dime and tell if it is heads or tails. :yes:

The upgrade is adjustable and could give a softer ride (which might be nice). It might also be easier to get the proper ride height. I would like to keep the axle damper shocks and I “think” I can with the coilovers. In doing searches on this subject I see that a lot of owners prefer the coilovers. If I add the upgrade now, I think I can get it for half price.

Which would you choose?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I can say first hand that a coilover rear suspension is much better that the Mustang coil spring set up. From setting proper ride height, to road feel. And coilovers prevent bottoming out and drives haft bind, that is something that will happen with Mustang coils.
I also have found that adjustable upper control arms help with setting pinion angle.

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
Dump the donor stuff and go with the coil overs. Better ride, looks way nicer and cleaner. And more adjustable
X2 dont skimp on suspension

·
Cobra Nutcase
1,633 Posts
I originally used the mustang springs, but within a month of driving, I tossed them in the garbage and ordered VPMs coil overs. I did put the quad shocks back on because of wheel hop. 10 years on the road now, and it's been great.

Rob

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,044 Posts
Absolutely go for coilovers. Also, sell the plastic bushing upper arms and get some w/ rubber bushings. The plastic stuff is great for drag racing but not good for turns. You can get away w/ it in a Mustang because of it's weight. In an FFR they bind up the suspension during roll.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,830 Posts
VPM coilovers and rubber bushings in the control arms, it's not even a close choice!

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
X whatever on the coilovers. I started with the donor suspension, switched to Konis ...what a difference.

·
Snake Farmer
10,299 Posts
Also, sell the plastic bushing upper arms and get some w/ rubber bushings. The plastic stuff is great for drag racing but not good for turns. You can get away w/ it in a Mustang because of it's weight. In an FFR they bind up the suspension during roll.
Craig, your thinking of those hard nylon bushings perhaps?
Never had an issue with my BBK polyurethane bush-inged, rear arms, (other than you need to to use silicone lube, rather than regular chassis grease). Maybe my 3-link makes a difference, but I never get any binding occurring when cornering..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, you guys sure make my decision easy !!!!!!!!! It is unanimous for coil-overs. I have sent an email to FFR to add the coil-over upgrade to my order.

Thanks to all!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,044 Posts
Bill, the problem is w/ 4 link cars. 3 link much better w/ plastic bushings. The 4 link needs rubber to be able to roll. I have not been able to find it again but 4-5 years ago one of the well known Mustang aftermarket suppliers put a 4 link together w/ rodends on both ends of all the links. The axle would not roll in relation to the frame at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts