Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on My Classic Car this AM. Have you guys seen it? I was interested in it for our '55 Chrysler because no one makes repops with FM/CD etc. Then I got to thinking. This would be great for Naga.
The only things you need in the cockpit are the remote and the speaker.
You don't even need the faceplate unit on the car at all. You plug it into the receiver/amp once and program it and then disconnect it and leave it at home. You then run the trunk mounted unit with the RF remote. They even have a hidden antenna.
Hmmmmmmm. Got me thinking. Christmas is coming. :D

http://www.customautosound.com/archive.htm

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
5,559 Posts
I've seen this system before, but it seems a little pricey to me. The other type that seems to be good for our use, is the marine type setups with a wired control panel. That way, you can have just a weatherproof, small screen in the cockpit for monitering cd selection, radio statio, etc.

What intrigues me most, though, was a discussion of using the Ipod as your "system". All you need is an amp (which can be hidden anywhere), speakers, and an adaptor to plug into the Ipod. The "system" is then easily removeable, and portable, so that you don't have to worry about theft, plus you can still use it on the go.

Brian

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I like the iPod idea, too. You can also "hide" a regular receiver in the car and run it via the remote. Works well, for much less money. RF controlled are best, but most these days are IR. If you locate it under the dash (assuming you have room), no one will see it and you can still control it by holding your hand down near the seat and pointing up under the dash.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,526 Posts
Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod, Ipod!!!!!!

Did I mention that I love my Ipod?

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
We have done the secret audio a couple of times. Very clean install and the control is not very offensesive under the dash. In the turn key car section there are some pics of the install on the MKIII. Be careful the pics are huge. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I second the wired marine controller. I have it velcroed under the dash and just pull it down if I need to change stations or CD's Richard

·
1,743 Posts
Hi Donald,
I have it hooked up to some Infinity Speakers in 4985. I used this system because I wanted Los Angeles AM radio for the Dodgers, SC Football (with local announcers) and traffic reports. Zero complaints after 8,000 miles.

Here is the wireless remote (I covered the back with velcro so it stays where I put it) and also the faceplate. I keep the faceplate tucked up and totally out of site (brought it "down" for this picture) because it isn't needed. The remote has a zillion pre-sets and does everything.

We mounted the system up in the trunk. Don't fool with any antenna but an amplied Marine Antenna from Kragen for under $20.00. It sticks under the trunk and works better than everybody else's and I tried them all.

I turn it up (read BLAST it)and can hear just fine while cruising at 65-70.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
1HOTSC, What system is that?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
Never mind. I just clicked on the link above to see the secret audio system and saw the picture of your setup. Duh........

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,239 Posts
[No message]

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,239 Posts
I too am looking at the hidden system, but want the speakers in the headrest like a Miata. Anybody done that? I have the street performers, and am thinking of making some sort of hood with speakers I can slip over for street use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the secret audio system with 10 cd disk changer. I also put miata seats in the car and love them. The install is easy and seats very nice. Speakers in the headrest are really great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts