Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the general opinion on what's the better seat. This would be on the classic seats only.
Leather OR Not ???

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
or Not.

I went to FFR to buy my kit and absolutely could not tell the difference between leather and vinyl. Neither could FFR employees. We had to look at the two seats side by side for 5 minutes to figure it out. Leather stains when wet and they will eventually get wet. Save your $.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
i have seen/felt the leather seats. i could not tell the difference from my vinyl seats. (MKiii)

if you want leather "somewhere" how about spending the extra money on Herb's door panels?

does anyone know how the leather seat compares as far as wear and tear?

·
1,743 Posts
Like everything else around here... lots of opinons.
The difference is in the wear and it is very evident after a few months. I'll be happy to park my 30 month old, daily driven in the LA smog, 17,000 mile seats next to any age vinyl seats.
Find someplace else to save a few bucks. There IS no comparison. The leather will look great and the vinyl will look like vinyl.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I prefer leather. In fact, I'm going to have the vinyl removed from my SubeSports, and have them recovered in leather, at least on the seating surface. The backs may remain in vinyl. There are several qualities, weight, and types when it comes to uphostery leather, I used to think "top grain" meant the best quality. Actually it refers to outer layer of the animal skin after the hair has been removed. John

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can always count on quick no bull response on this forum. I will spend my money on some other Cobra goodies. Yup I've got Herbs door panels already. I was just getting in the mood for spring when this damn snow came today. So I needed to think about spending and spending. Thanks,

·
2,863 Posts
yep lots of snow today ! really peed me off ! but what can you do ? I would say just buy some door panel for Herb and skip the leather??????????????? LOL

·
Charter Member
729 Posts
I'm getting leather only because it was the only way to get tan interior.

·
Master Paint Chipper
1,374 Posts
I don't think there is much difference between the FFR supplied leather and vinyl seats. However I've sat in Todd Buttrick's car with the leather seats supplied by Tri-states...OMG what a difference! The Tri-States are what a cobra seat should look and feel like, simply amazing. Not cheap though...

Matt

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Do they use leather in luxury cars because because it's the same as vinyl?? Leather is a lot more durable.
I think the FFR leather is much more comforable than the linyl.
But if I did it again, I would get the Tri-States seats Todd has and get the dash leather elsewhere.

·
FFCobra Owner
865 Posts
What are the SPF seats? Are they leather or vinyl?

fred z

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I prefer the leather!

·
5,559 Posts
For the seats in an open top roadster, I feel that vinyl is definitely the way to go. The material FFR uses is very good quality, and you simply can't tell the difference when they are new. After a few years of use, however, the leather will get wrinkles, and creases in it, but the vinyl will remain the same as day one. Don't get me wrong, I love leather, and given a choice would always get it in my daily driver, but in the Cobra, there is always a chance of getting caught in the rain, and leather doesn't hold up as well after getting soaked.

Brian

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
My plan is to get my seats recovered with the seating surfaces in very high grade marine alcantara (ultrasuede, basically... but waterproof), with the side bolsters either leather or a comparably high quality vinyl.

I don't like vinyl or leather for spirited driving. I had an older Audi S4 with alcantara seats, and those got soaked on numerous occasions, one had a large latte spilled in it and when I sold the car after 4 years, they looked as good as they did the day I bought the car.

Of course, recovering seats is expensive...

·
Charter Member
167 Posts
1HOtSC and I are good friends and our Cobras (our kid) spend play days together frequently. Like proud parents we both think our kid is cuter than the other, (mine is actually), but I must say, I covet the look of Doug’s seats every time I see them. The leather is aging so cool. So let me ask you this, if you have or could would you buy a real Rolex or a fake. The price difference is nothing compared to the enjoyment and pride you'll experience over the years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts