Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm planning on building a car within the next year or so. I'm just trying to do my homework right now.

I don't ever plan on racing, but won't rule it out. I enjoy building and cruising and the occasional car show.

I'm just curious if anyone has added a standard one piece retracting shoulder/lap belt? Is there even room for mounting such a thing. I would like to have something like this, but keep the harness and mounts just in case I ever decide to give racing a try... I plan on driving the car often, and don't want to have to mess with a harness every time I get in/out...

any thoughts/opinions?

thanks...

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I have seen picutres of them here. The shoulder mount is on the outside rollbar leg using either a welded stud or a steel bracket that surrounds the rollbar leg. It looked pretty good. Maybe an archive search on "three-point belts" or something similar might help.

·
Charter Member
996 Posts
I love the harnesses. They're appropriate to this car. It takes a minute to put them on, but they're comfortable in the way they hold me into the seat, and in an accident, they're far better than a conventional belt. There are harnesses that use a cam lock design that is quicker than the type FFR sends us. Check Summit or Jegs.

·
Charter Member
456 Posts
If anything ever happens (no fault of yours) and you end up the wrong way up or down you will be glad you had the full 5 point on. But to answer your question no I haven't heard of a "standard one piece retracting shoulder/lap belt"

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
If you want a quicker-to-put-on harness check out the Schroth line from Germany. They have 4 point "harnessbelts" that use the standard style quick-click latch you find in passenger cars.

-SB

·
3,217 Posts
I switched to the Schroth harnesses almost immediately after the car was on the road. I didn't mind the Simpson so much for myself, but it was a total PITA for the passenger side. They just don't adjust easily and if you're not used to them it takes too long to figure out the latching mechanism. I'd rather be driving than spending time showing people how to adjust and buckle the belts. The Schroth's adjust and connect just like a normal passenger car belt and you can use the same attaching points as the Simpsons.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,844 Posts
Shep, If you don't mind me asking where you got them and ballpark on the cost?
Thanks Dave

·
3,217 Posts
Same place as above.

$300 for the set.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
When I built my LAE, back in '94, I put standard Mustang front belt/shoulder strap in on both sides.

I put the driver side assembly on the passenger side of my car (and vise-versa) to have the tensioners/retractors on the inside.

They had the inertia locks on the retractors and I could snug the belt but have the shoulder strap a little looser.

I liked them and had no trouble over seven years of raod work until I sold the car.

I'm planning on something similar for my FFR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts