Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
I think they are about the same. I am 6'-4" and will need to do something about the brake pedal. I am running an auto, so no cluth and the street performers. Not sure yet if the brakes are adjustible as I haven't really concentrated on this yet. The pedals are about 6" in front of the gas right now, and fully depressed are easily 6-8" from the fire wall. I can easily manipulate the gas pedal, but need to lift my leg to far up to get a hold of the brake, causing my knee to hit the bottom of the dash.

Another question you might want to add to the equation is what seat is going to save the back of my head and neck if I get rear ended....

·
15,282 Posts
I'm exactly with Rickster. The Street Performer is a pretty strong seat, and certainly offers a little more protection from the soccer-mom that rear-ends you in her Escalade. :rolleyes:

I'm just under 6', so I'm working on not worrying about the whole footbox space issue too much. I'm also a lightweight, which oughta help me fit in this beast!

Cheers, John

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Both seats are about the same for legroom once you're in the car, but the street performers make it a lot harder for taller guys to get in and out of the car. The street performers are much more comfortable in my opinion, as long as you're not carrying a lot of extra table muscle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
rickster -- have the same concern at 6'4"!!

CHOOPS -- I really don't have an answer (yet!) since I'm still working on details (read no kit yet!), but this is one area that has my attention. At a recent auto show I talked to one of the guys from the local Gateway FFROG group (by the way, a great group of people!) and he mentioned that another member had a similar problem a he removed some the seat cushion material. I started a thread recently that died about a blank frame or aluminum seat pan that I could use to build my own, but I don't think what I have in mind exists. Are the kit seats steel frame and springs?

dukegrad98 -- I wish I was a lightweight again!!

JasonD -- "table muscle" Yep, that's what I need less of!!

I do hope this thread uncovers some creative ideas because this issue is a big deal in my mind.

Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
1,151 Posts
Mike,
The Kit seats are a fiberglass bucket with foam padding under the vinyl covering. It shouldn't be too big a deal to remove the lower cushion foam and replace it with a slimmer piece of closed cell foam. Mike D. (Car Your Son sat in) has had His seats apart to install seat heaters and should be able to give a bit more useful info as to how hard it was to do.
Tom

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
i am 6' and have the vintage race seats. they recline your body back alot which makes you bend your legs. i put ajustable sliders in mine and it was a good thing because i need to pull my seat forward about 3" just to reach the pedals

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
i am 6' and have the vintage race seats. they recline your body back alot which makes you bend your legs. i put ajustable sliders in mine and it was a good thing because i need to pull my seat forward about 3" just to reach the pedals

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
6'5" at 200, Street performers with the Breeze mount. The tilt make a big difference. I found much more upper leg support with this setup than when I was testing out other setups and that make it a lot more comfortable. I have 250 miles in the seat.

For your brake pedal - I have two of the spaces with a Jeep MC, donor rod and pedal box. Good leg room for a clutch (Wade Chamberlain adjuster) and brake pedal.

Hope this helps

·
Charter Member
842 Posts
6'3" here 200 lbs (34 inch in-seam)... stock seats with pedal mods to the gas and brake... loads of room... can just about push the clutch all the way to the floor if I really extend my leg...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tom -- Thanks again for the information. I think removing the vinyl should be fairly straight forward. However, uttil I place an order, I'll never find out. "If you order it, it will come!"

StephenP -- I did wonder about the tilt. Sounds like the way to go (in my minds eye, I see a 13" wheel with a quick release too.)

Mike

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just another choice is the Kirkley deluxe drag seat, At 6'5" 235lbs I needed leg room, this seat can be placed an inch or 2 from the rear of the cockpit. Its very comfortable and stable on the race course.

Tom

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Mike - I have a 14" leather wheel and I like it, plenty of leg room under it for driving. But I think I could have used the 15" if I had wanted to. I am not sure that I would recommend 13" wheel with the donor rack or a tight manual rack. Steering effort will be up there....

During that phase I was of the opinion that there is a will so there is a way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
StephenP -- I really believe your comment that there is a will so there is a way! I also mis-typed -- I wanted the 14" with a quick release. This is not going to be a daily driver. I have raced MGB's (plenty of leg room), a Formula V (good leg room, but sat on an aluminum sheet covering the bottom frame!), and a Datsun 510 (plenty of room everywhere) but none of these was a driver nor could they have been legally. If I can go 200 miles in a day, then I'll be a really happy guy! I am not looking for comfort in the sense of a daily driver. Thanks to all!!

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.