Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Here are a few pics of the seat mount I made for the passenger side seat. This pic is of the mounting platform for the passenger side, the drivers side has adjustable seat tracks from FFR that bolt on where this one has the 1" stock welded on top, and isn't adjustable. The ends with the reliefs are where the whole mess bolts to the floor. Front tube is 1" and the back one is .75" to impart a small amount of tilt-back to the seats. I'm learning to weld as I go along here, so be kind, it's been a LONG time since I was heating up crap with a OXY/Acetelene torch. This MIG thing is way, way easier.

Please post any pics and/or description of how you did your seats, I'm not married to this idea.

Chris.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Hey Chris, Nice job. MIG is way better than stick welding. I was talking with Mark at Breeze about this and he said try it with a 2x4 under the front of the seat. His pass side kit tilts it up about 1.5". I tried it and it feels about right to me. My sig-other is pretty short so it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
I've tried the 2x4 mock up as well. Seems right to me at around 1 1/2" of incline.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Are you planning on mounting them 'offset' at all so the seat moves slightly away from the tunnel as it comes forward or are you just going to go straight ahead?

Sean

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far, I'm planning to mount pretty straight, but as far toward the outside as I can with the seat belt mounting point there. I think the seat will move about 3-4 inches. Tilting the seats out so the drivers side will move further will bother me, having the seats visually point out. Could still change my mind though.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Chris: Looks like you had some fun... nice job. Tip: You can buy some stuff called anti-splatter that you spray on the area to be welded - it prevents most of the "splatter" from sticking and reduces your cleanup job.

While I did not do this I had considered mounting the seat tracks parallel to the transmission tunnel and then bolting he seat to the seat tracks so that the seat is parallel to the side pipes. Positive: seat looks right and does not contact tunnel during movement. Negative: seat position varies (side to side) it is moved forward and back.

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
I like that "off-set" track idea. Mount the track angled to the trans tunnel, and the seat pointed straight ahead. NICE!

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SR, that's a terrific idea, mounting track parallel to the trans tunnel, thanks for the tip.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Chris,

I got the idea for the offset seat tracks from Doug S. Here is his post describing how he did it:

offset seat tracks

I liked how he managed to bolt the seats in straight ahead, but allows them to slide away from the trans tunnel when pulled forward.

I am working on a similar plan with a little more (1 1/2") recline built in.

Sean

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sean,

I really think this offset idea could work well for me. I'll see how I feel after a couple of evenings staring at it with a beer and scratching and belching. That always helps!

Chris.

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Chris,thats the only way to start a project.That is if you only want to do it once.

Bart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts