Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Engimuneer Extraordinaire
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure at least a few of y'all have this issue so it'd be nice for some feedback. I've read up on what seats are out there, but havn't heard feedback specifically from people with lower back pain. I've got some pinched nerves in my L4/L5 area so have issues with most seats. Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am tall (6'7") and have had back pain previously, but not at the present time. For what it is worth, I think that the Kirkey race seats FFR offers are pretty comfortable. I am mounting these in a slightly reclined position, about 2 inch lift on the front of the seat. Reclining the seat helped both by placing my back in a better position and by bending my knees a little which takes some strain off of the lower back.

·
Senior Charter Member
406 Posts
I’ve had two back surgeries and use the original low back seats from FFR. I am short and have the driver’s side on the seat track. It helps to be able to move the seat forward. Longest drive has been 58 miles with an hour break and then the return trip.
The seats did not feel uncomfortable to me at all. I was a little stiff after the drive but I was pleasantly surprised.

Mgent

·
Engimuneer Extraordinaire
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention I'm 5'10", 190lbf & 22 (not that age matters).

·
4,342 Posts
I'm with RCPilot. I'm 6'5" and the Kirkey's give me the right amount of support in the lower back. I had L5 problems in the past and some cars just hit me wrong (I had to see a chiro after getting my '97 XK8- She's now gone). Tilting of the seat really helps. A bend in the knees takes a lot of strain off your lower back. I have the front up about 2" also.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
I bought a chair cushion at Target for 10 bucks, to use with my wore out stock seats. I plan to tear the seats apart and add lumbar aswell.

·
Senior Charter Member
341 Posts
Another vote for the Kirkey's. I am 5'10" and have had lower back problems. No pain from these vintage seats

-SP

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,595 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have the Cobra Classic seats for over 5yrs. I recently had back surgery and the seats still feel good to me. I just put more foam in the lower back/lumbar area and the sides along with adding heaters. They are still comfortable on or off the track. I've had many long hour trips as well without back problems.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,417 Posts
SP's with the BREEZE mounts. Nice tilt, knees bent, and coddled nicely!

I'm 6', 185

But, I ask this - What about that first really hard bump that compresses your spine?

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
Im 5-10, 190 with a back that fused from waist up. I use the sube clubman's (aka sp) and am happy with the results. Try to get rides from other members in your area before committing to a style.

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
I used to get a lot of pretty bad back pain until I got my tempurpedic mattress, and the most comfortable seats I've ever had or sat in were a set of Recaro SRD seats (basically the same as the current Recaro Speed seats). I could sit in those for hours on end with no problems at all.

No idea if they fit in the FFR... I'll know in a few weeks.

It really depends on the person. Your best bet is to find a shop that sells aftermarket or race seats and sit in them. I probably sat in 20 of them before I found one I liked.

·
Registered
722 Posts
jhnbrackett, I have had the street performers for two years. I have not been happy with the lower back support on long rides.
I got a set of leather Mazda Miata seats off E-Bay for $280.00 delivered. They fit well,have adjustable tilt, and much better lower back support. Drawbacks, not as much lateral support in turns, and I sit an inch or so higher. I'm really happy with them so far. Do a search under "miata seats" for pics.
Good luck, Randy Richards

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
6'2 210, bad back. Standard FFR low seats tilted back about 1 1/2", with seat heaters. Terrible currently, am going to try adding lumbar padding to hold curve in my lower back. Only thing about leaning seat back is that it pushes seat forward. Not a lot of room in these cars.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts
Has anyone priced the "pump up" lumbar support from a Lotus Elise?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,272 Posts
Spruce Aircraft has a good deal on pump up lumbar systems. I am building custom seats with them installed.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Hi,

Miata seats!.

I am the same size as you and love mine.. Plus you could find a Miata to 'test drive' to see how you like them!

R :D

·
Charter Member
2,135 Posts
I am 6'2' 185#....I have lower back and neck problems. I have the SP mounted on an angle with the drivers on a slide but I keep it all the way back. I added heaters and use a lumbar cushion. I have inflatable lumbars out of a 93 stang that I will install later. So far this is only OK, on 1 hour + drives I am uncomfortable. My neck begins to have problems about than as well but that is because on the angle that I have to keep my head. Better seats would be great just have not shopped around.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I use the classic seat. Used a shim to give it a slight tilt to the rear. Helps my back since I have enough to shift around some to change pressure. Street performers held me too tight to where I could shift my weight as much side to side. adding a little more cusion to the bottom of the seat helps also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts