Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I’m waiting on parts this week while plowing through wiring, I thought I’d start looking at seat rail mounting I hav two different types but have decided on the one I have pictured. Bought this as a partial build (MK 1 and MK 1 seats). Mount a steel plate to aluminum or rails directly to aluminum? I’m kinda lost on this and not sure which rout to take. TIA.
Road surface Grey Wall Tints and shades Font

Street light Wood Road surface Bumper Asphalt

· Too Cheap to paint!
6,703 Posts
I really like the Breeze mounts that have the angled plates instead of seat track. Gives a better driving position

· Premium Member
317 Posts
I initially had tracks in my MK2 but then pulled them out because I did not like how high they had the seats. I now have the seats flat to the floor, but will be installing my angled Breeze mounts soon.

· Registered
2001 mustang donor car
41 Posts
So as I’m waiting on parts this week while plowing through wiring, I thought I’d start looking at seat rail mounting I hav two different types but have decided on the one I have pictured. Bought this as a partial build (MK 1 and MK 1 seats). Mount a steel plate to aluminum or rails directly to aluminum? I’m kinda lost on this and not sure which rout to take. TIA.
View attachment 370539
View attachment 370538
Mounted my seat flat on the aluminum with no slides, trying for maximize leg room

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Seriously, Breeze mounts are one of the best function upgrades on my build.

If you have the old fiberglass seats you can still do it. Just take a little bit of extra work.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Mounted my seat flat on the aluminum with no slides, trying for maximize leg room
May not seem intuitive but the Breeze Mount angle actually feels like you have more leg room. I'm 6' tall and my leg room is perfect.

· Junior Charter Member
247 Posts
Breeze mounts. When you ride in one without them the comfort difference is dramatic. It is only like 7deg. Just do it.

Krusty

· Premium Member
1,317 Posts
To answer your question...I riveted the seat sliders to a rectangular base plate of 16 gauge steel. I used 3/16" steel rivets; they're pretty hard to pull by hand. Then I drilled four mounting holes through the base plate and the steel seat pan on the frame. Next, my buddy Craig welded four 3/8" bolts to the base plate; the welded bolts poke down through the frame's seat pan so that I can tighten the nuts without trying to get a wrench under the seat. The last step was to use longer bolts to mount the seat to the slider so that I could put a section of 1" tubular steel across the underside of the front of the seat, giving a the bottom of the seat a tilt.

If I had to mount my seats again, I think I’d start with the Breeze seat mounts, fabricate a wider platform out of 14 gauge steel to accommodate my seat, and weld that platform to the Breeze mount.

Either way, a base plate with welded mounting bolts through the frame's seat pan is the way to go. It's easy to remove or install the seat, the mounting is as strong as you want to make the thickness of the base plate, and there's no measuring/fuss to make sure the seat bolts go into the frame members.

John

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As CDXXVII said, more work to do when mounting the older fiberglass vs newer steel. What is used for the attachment of fiberglass seat “frame” to Breeze mounts? Meaning, for example, 3/16” plate to seat bottom?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts