Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm *that* close to fitting the body - and I want to mount the seats. Am I reading the manual correctly in assuming the seat bolts just go through the aluminum? Somehow that just does not seem safe to me.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
The bolts should go through the steel panel between the "X" pieces, and/or the frame tubes under the aluminum.

Forrest

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forrest: I've got the sube clubman seats - just scratching my head at the moment. Looks like you had the same thing, I was referred to a thread that has wonderful ads for club photo of your install :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Mike,
Forrest had to fabricate some brackets to adapt the seats to the FFR frame, he made them in aluminum. I also used the same seats and had to make brackets to adapt them but I made them in steel (with the help of Ted Johnson and his son Glen).
I wish I had taken pictures of these as they were a PITA to adapt, but they worked fine.
I cut 8 pieces of tubbing at an angle (look at the attached image), about 1 1/2" tall (but you can cut them according to your liking) and welded flat pieces of iron to the top and bottom of the tubes to make brackets with different lengths so that you can drill holes and attach them to the frame and seat sliders.
HTH

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugh, Looks like I get to get friendly with the welder at work again. I take it the odd offsets and so forth were taken care of by the brackets

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Originally posted by baumann:
I take it the odd offsets and so forth were taken care of by the brackets
Yep,

You'll need to determine where you want to drill and mount the seats, how high you want the seats to be also.
If you decide to go this route make 2 or 3 brackets with longer steel flats pieces than the others then determine where to drill and then cut the excess metal, clean them and paint them.

;)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Mike you really should wait until the body is on before fitting the seats.These seats are a tight fit in an FFR.I installed mine(FFR Street Preformer'S) a few months ago.I had to move the e-brake handle forward from the FFR location by 3",and build a frame for the passenger side seat that tilted it back about 3 degrees.Just remember that the farther you tilt the seat back(which does add to the comfort factor)the less leg room the passenger will have.After deciding not to do any welding to add steel in order facilitate seat installation I bolted a plate to the bottom of the 3/4"tube this allowed me to get 3 mounting bolts through steel on the pass side.The drivers side uses sliders and also got 3 mounting bolts through steel with 2 of them 1/2" stainless threaded rod that go through the 4"round tube.I found after the install that in the position that I mounted my drivers seat it is alittle more difficult to get out of the car,so I'm looking at a quick detact steering wheel.After the BS they are very supportive and comfortable.Good Luck

PS. I just removed my seats today so I can install a new tranny.If you need any pics let me know.I'll e-mail them.

Sorry so long

[ December 07, 2002, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Smitty ]

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Smitty:
I found after the install that in the position that I mounted my drivers seat it is alittle more difficult to get out of the car,so I'm looking at a quick detact steering wheel.
Given my rather large girth when I started the build (5' 8" 220lbs) I had already decided on a quick detatch wheel. Of course since then I've lost 25lbs so things are only easier :D

PS. I just removed my seats today so I can install a new tranny.If you need any pics let me know.I'll e-mail them.
By all means!!!! I'll take any help you can offer!

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Oops, sorry, Mike, I just assumed that you had the low seats. After Misu, Sergio and Smitty, there's not much to add. It took me three days to figure it out, and when I was done I had a lot of extra holes drilled! I am really sorry that I didn't get any pictures during the install.

Forrest

1 - 10 of 10 Posts