Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to me that seat heaters could be as or more effecient and practical than the standard car heater. Also, would be easier to install and leave more room behind the dash for other things. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Can't speak from experience, but that's the route I'm taking, and for the very reasons you mentioned.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
I was thinking more of one supplementing the other - having my heater output split between defrost and the feet and seat heaters to toast the buns!

- SB

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Exactly what I did. Returned the water based heater from FFR and ordered seat heaters from CobraHeat. Easier to install, more room behind the dash, and from using them in OE applications I know they'll toast yer' buns good!

Mark

·
Unknown
399 Posts
I don't understand how a seat heater alone could keep your "body" warm. I guess it depends on how cold the temps get in Sacremento.

I have the standard heater, seat heaters, and the Factory Five top. The standard heater alone keeps me warm by blowing hot air onto my body, no matter what the temp. I don't need the seat heaters but got em' anyway. They might keep your tail warm, but then again it all depends on where you live.

·
Junior Charter Member
104 Posts
Tom,
Not trying to steal your thread, but here goes.I have the FF high back seats and thinking about installing seat heaters from CobraHeat. I have no top nor heater and live in Northeastern Md.
How much is involved in installing them and does anyone have a feel for how effective they would be in say, 50 degree weather? This is similar to what Tom is asking.

Glen

·
1,648 Posts
I had planned on installing a heater in the trunk but have changed my mind . Since the installation of my tranny vents there is a nice flow of warm air from that. Now the seat heaters would have added a lot of comfort on those mid twenty degree days. My plan now is just to install the seat heaters

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Another though would be to intall a power outlet and keep a couple of heated vests in the trunk.
The same heated vests they use for motorcycles.
Keeping your core of your body warm would work better than anything I could think of.
Maybe someone could find a link to heated vests.

I see them on ebay for abour $65.

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
I have both; FFR heater and seat heaters. For Michigan, I wanted to make sure that I had enough "heat" options!

So far, I have been very happy with both. My wife and I took a highway cruise to Detroit and back in 38 degrees with no top and were actually pretty comfortable with both going the FFR heater and seat heaters on high.

The seat heaters will really heat up your postier and back and FFR heater with defrost / footwell combo will keep your feet and face/head warm.

Without a top, the defrost heat was pretty important to me to keep the face / head warm (as possible).

·
Junior Charter Member
66 Posts
Gerbing is an excellent supplier of heated clothing all the way down to socks. I have used their products for almost 10 years on my motorcycle. I'm planning to install the hook-up with thermostat for both driver and passenger and get another jacket liner for my wife.

The jacket liner and pants liner would give you more heat than you will ever need, you'd be able to drive in 20 degree weather! You might want to wear a helmut though!

The trick is to operate it through a thermostat in order to control heat levels. Another supplier of this stuff is Riderwarehouse. If you Google I'm shure you'll be able to find them. They make their own riding apparal called Aerostitch. They have an excellent thermostat.
Just make sure the plugs are compatable because Gerbing changed their plug style a few years ago.

Some motorcycle shops are dealers and may have a better price than shopping direct. I have purchased both ways.

I've been riding for over 30 years and ride almost year round, electric clothing is by far the best investment I've made.

·
1,913 Posts
FWIW, I bought the Cobraheat heaters and they look like very nice stuff. I haven't installed them into my Kirkeys yet, but it looks pretty straightforward. The heater in my Mustang convertible is a monster, but at speed with the top down it will only make my feet TOO hot, no heat is felt above the knees or on your hands. I'm planning to pass on the FFR heater, though I may do a defroster..

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
I'm planning on both seat heaters and heat in my car. I had an old Celica convertible, and you definitely felt the heat even with the top down. I think the combination should work very well.

FYI, the Cobraheat heaters are the same ones all the various big part suppliers sell -- even the photo is the same as you see on a bunch of other sites. Its a good deal @2/$100... half what it is most places.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
I installed a heater not for the heat but for the defrost function. This is essential with a top in the winter. The top just barely keep the rain out and the windows get fogged up. So you need it. The heat is just a bonus.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
418 Posts
I was talking to one of the car owners (forgot his name) at the open house last year about his heater. He had the FF heater/same as I have from FF an it was installed in under the dash like I wanted to do mine. He said that the heater really wasn't worth the trouble as 90% of the heat was sucked out as you drove. The only time it really worked was when you were stoped. So I was thinking of just selling the heater and using the seat heaters. You that have the heaters really think they were worth the trouble?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts