Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Everyone,
Having put just over 1,000 miles on my build, I've noticed that the base of my seats are about as comfortable as a steel plate. Fact is, that the seat base squashes almost flat when I sit down ( 6'2", 200 lbs). I thought I was being critical until my wife mentioned on a 100 mile cruise this past weekend, that her seat base wasn't very supportive. Sooooo, with that being said, has anyone changed the foam out on their seat bases for a more firm feel? If so, what did you use and where did you source it? I have all winter to order foam, shape it, install the seat heaters and get them reinstalled.

I appreciate any information this forum may offer.

Scott

·
Registered
337 Posts
Which seats do you have?

I have put 12k miles on the original vinyl low back seats now. We joke that of all of the cars we have, the Cobra has the most comfortable seats. I have to really tighten the seat belts to keep from sliding around. I also added an inch of new foam when I installed the seat heaters.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have the large low backs from F5. Everything you say about bad seating is correct.
I cut out a panel of rigid plastic that matched the bottom of the cushion. This separated the steel tubes and gave the seat foam a flat area to compress onto.
This was some improvement, but not close to what is needed. I had bought some of the Harbor Freight foam floor mats and was not using them all. So I cut a layer to match the rigid plastic base. This made a very noticeable improvement.
I think a harder foam layer would be an improvment.
For those lighter than me, 235#, the HF foam may be perfect.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the vinyl covered roadster seats from Factory 5. The hardboard provided with my Breeze seatbases prevents me from feeling like I'm falling through, but the overall flatness and lack of support is what I working on at this point.

Scott

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Scott I had FF5 seats. Replaced the bottom foam with High density foam. Two inches thinner which is nice with a tall person. Sitting lower in the seat.

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
This is the good stuff. I've used it on a few seats over the years, and it makes a huge improvement.

Reactions: railroad

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
I like the medium. To me it gives a very firm but comfortable ride. I also tried the soft on top of the medium and soft on top of the firm.

Thickness all depends on what you need. You can also trim the foam if you need to.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just ordered a piece of the medium and firm in 1 inch. I will try to remember to post, how each compares to the Harbor Freight mat density and how it sits in the car.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You for all he responses. I'm actually going to wait and see what kind of results railroad has before making my purchase. Given the shape of the roadster seat base, I may have to buy the 2" thick piece and shape it to match.

Scott

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just to be clear, I am putting the foam, flat between the factory seat and the steel tubes that make the base. Of course I will keep the hard plastic base, I cut to give a platform for the steel tubes.
UPS tracking shows delivery due today.

·
Registered
406 Posts
OK, here it is.
The Harbor Freight floor mat is 3/8" thick. It seems to be a springy type of foam. It is good under my feet on concrete floor. I noticed a great improvement putting a hard board and the Harbor Freight floot mat under my factory seat cushion.

The aircraft foam is heavy for its size. It conforms to the pressure with a gradual compression. It does not push back once compressed and under pressure.
Memory foam comes to mind, but this has more resistance.
I placed both medium and firm in a hard bottom chair. The medium seemed to conform after a few minutes and still provide some cushion.
I weigh #235, if that helps for comparison.

As your body depresses into the foam it has a cradling effect. My panels are 1" thick, so if you desire a deeper surround effect, I would use 2 or 3".
The firm pad did compress some, but not as deep as the medium. The pad thickness that does not compress under your weight does not offer a cushion bounce.
Both densities compress a given amount and do not give the impression they are trying to return to original shape.
IMO this would do best just under the leather, backed up by the regular foam in the seats. This would provide a cradling effect and the original foam would provide the cushion. I would still install the hard board between the cushion and seat frame.

I do not plan on pulling the seat covering to install under the leather, but will try it under the seat cushion, with and without the HF foam.

The foam is heavy for its size. It is good material and resistant to tearing.
It follows contours and does not lift over a curve.
I think it would shape easily with an electric fillet knife. Straight line cuts should be easy with large scissors or razors, knife, etc.
I pinched the medium to max compression against a flat surface. It took 5 seconds to return to full size.
The firm took 8 seconds, both at 76* F.
I will be glad to answer any questions or make simple test.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am going to put the med pad on top of my passenger seat for the wife to try out, hopefully today. I think this is the ideal location for benefit of this type of foam.
I see little benefit in putting it under the seat, where I have the HF foam.
If I get bored enough, I will pull the leather and put a layer under my seat.
Wish I had this on hand, when I did my seat heaters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts