Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Charter Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Does anyone have a screw type supercharger (i.e.- Kenne Belle, Whipple, etc.) installed on their FFR and if so are there any clearance problems?, and are you happy with the performance?

Also, are these a good alternative to a centrifugal type (i.e.- Vortech, Paxton, etc.)?

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,809 Posts
I have used the kenne Bell on a car. Depending on which one you get you may have to knotch the drivers foot box. There is no other clearance problems. I have used a lot if centrifical blowers. Some you have to notch the aluminum on the pass splash panel.

·
Charter Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gordon,
Are there any inherent advantages or drawbacks to using a Kenne Belle type s/c?

And how do they compare to the centifugal type s/c, power-wise, ease of installation, etc.?

p.s.- Gordon, you should change your displayed name to sensei, jedi master, boss, mr. cranium, mind-god, or some other name befitting of such an awesome mental capacity...just a thought.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It all really depends on what you're looking for out of your car and blower.

The thing with the KB blowers is that they can't make as much boost as a centrifugal blower. And that, right there, is about the only downside to them.

The upside is that they don't rely on engine rpm for boost - well, not like a centrifugal, that is. If you go WOT at 2k rpms, you'll have most of your boost right then. The KBs are known to give your small block a "big block feel."

Forced induction has been my biggest predicament in my FFR blueprinting process. :D

Whipple Superchargers has an FAQ (if somewhat biased) about the twin screw blowers.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,809 Posts
The KB blower builds boost from right off idle. A centrifical comes in at about 2500 revs. I prefer the centrifical as it will be easier to drive daily. The car is also pointed in the direction you want to go before the boost comes in. This will make the short wheel base, lightweight car avoid trees, polls, and other objects that creep up when sliding sideways.
Thanks for the suggestion on the new handles but I think I'll keep the one I have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gordon,

I have to agree with you about the centrifugals. My daily driver is a 90 Mustang GT with only minor exhaust modifications. If I have to get up and go from a dead stop, I have a pretty difficult time keeping it from spinning the tires (245/45/17). I just can't imagine building a Cobra that's well over 1000 pounds lighter with a stouter motor, and then adding a Whipple on top of that! :eek:

While we're on the subject, Gordon, do you know if there are any fitment problems with the Novi 2000? Or do you think the Vortech S-trim would be a better choice? I'm just looking for about 10 pounds of boost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts