Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving my car for 4 years now and I had something happen to me today that has never happened before. I am coming up to a rotary with a car about 3 car lengths in front of me. Push the clutch in to down shift (luckily) and apply the brakes. The motor revs and is bouncing on the rev limiter. My eyes almost pop out of my head because I know there is a car just in front of me. So I push on the brake pedal for all she is worth to try and stop my car from ramming the car in front of me. I come to a screeching hault right in the middle of a rotary, in traffic, and still bouncing off the MSD rev. limiter. Well I had the night before bought a new pair of sneakers and they must be a little bit wider than what I am used to. I had nicked the gas pedal while pushing on the brake pedal. Thank God I had the clutch in when I pushed on the brake pedal with all my strength or I would have taken off like a rocket into the car in front of me. I was enjoying a nice and relaxed sunny drive and after this I was shaking like a leaf.

·
1,672 Posts
Need some racing shoes - they are narrower-I have down the same thing on the track - gets scary.

Would make a great father's day gift - drop the hint ?

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
I have done the same thing John. This was before i bent my pedals. Even after bending them i have had a few instances where i have hit both gas/brake at the same time

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Yikes John! Thank goodness it was a lesson that didn't involve the body shop. Thanks for sharing.

Mike M.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Been there. Done that. Pedal bender solved the problem. By the way, you haven't lived until the loop of your shoe lace gets caught on the clutch pedal and you can't get you foot loose to hit the brake or clutch pedal. That was SCARY!! Pete :eek:

·
Charter Member
361 Posts
Did nearly the same thing but mine was just embrassing. Drove the car for the first time, went to shift into second and slammed on the brakes. Now Pete that is funny!

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
Years ago when I racer a Formula Ford the trick was to wear a size smaller racing shoes. Yes they were tight but the pedals were very tight and no problems were going to happen if you suited up properly.
The moral of the story is small shoes, no work boots, clogs, or wide sneakers....
Mike

·
Charter Member
247 Posts
Originally posted by chucktoo:
Need some racing shoes - they are narrower-I have down the same thing on the track - gets scary.

Would make a great father's day gift - drop the hint ?
Where do you buy racing shoes??

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I like to drive in my socks too.

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
When I enrolled in the Jim Russell Driving School, they actually sent a template to show how wide your shoes should be. Most shoes have a "flange" along the sole, which makes the shoe wider than your actual foot. Race cars have very little foot room (just like the roadster).

I bought racing shoes for when I drive the roadster. Not a bad idea.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Whaley:
I like to drive in my socks too.
Not a good idea. You'll find your foot doesn't transfer braking force anywhere near as effectively as when wearing shoes.

Now, has anyone come across some cobra-safe footwear that could pass as everyday shoes with shorts & a T? Most racing boots look a bit too peter pan to stroll about in.....

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
You can get Reebok Classics Men's Driving CLN Oxford for about $42.00 at WWW.ShoeMall.com with free shipping. I have very wide feet (EEE) and with a running type shoe I had to cock my foot so I didn't hit both the brake & throttle at the same time. I thought this would be a safety issue (as you have proved out) so I bought a pair. They work great and have no problems after 400 miles. Now my foot doesn't even come close to the other pedal. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
What Mike said, 10-4 on the racing shoes. I don't drive mine without them. And my personal preference is to have the pedals adjusted so the brake has pressure before depressing the throttle, i.e. the brake and clutch are flush with each other and closer to you than the throttle.

dawjr

·
Junior Charter Member
474 Posts
Cabelas has a boat shoe (Fremont) $70.00 Works real good for me.
Stan

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
I worked in a restaurant and they made us buy shoes to keep from slipping on the tile floor in the kitchen. Shoes for crews don't know if they sell to individuals , they were under 40 bucks and look like a regular sneaker. BTW Jeff at Whitby's was kind enough to let me ride a roadster before I bought mine to test out the oe shifter and thats when it happened to me Bob

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.