Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother still has my old (10yr old Actron) scan tool and I've decided that I need to upgrade and bequeath it to him. Cars in the house: 2011 Porsche C4, 2011 BMW M3 (the wife's ride), 2011 Ford F150 6.2 (Raptor) and a 2014 5.0 Coyote for the Factory Five Roadster I'm just starting to build. Kids that are local have a mix with a couple of >1996 BMW's 3 series, a Jeep Cherokee and a 2009 Mazda MX9?.

My budget is <$500 and I have a Ms Surface tablet and a laptop so I could go with a software based solution. I'm just getting back into "building" cars - having only done maintenance and minor upgrades on my cars for the last 25 years. My research is leaning towards the Innova 3160 @ $190 but I thought I'd ask for advice and experiences here.

Russell (Rustlesroadster)

·
Senior Charter Member
6,096 Posts
Whenever I need one, I just hop in a different car and borrow one from autozone.
They take a deposit equal to the cost of the scan tool, but refund it when you give it back.
Luckily the autozone is only about 2 miles from my house.

·
Premium Member
10,830 Posts
Whenever I need one, I just hop in a different car and borrow one from autozone.
They take a deposit equal to the cost of the scan tool, but refund it when you give it back.
Luckily the autozone is only about 2 miles from my house.
Transmission codes?

I'd like to buy one that does both...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,711 Posts
Check the web for phone apps. I had 'Torque' on my previous phone. Just needed to buy a wire to connect the phone to the OBD2 port. Not sure if these will give you all you want but they are only about $30.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scan tool

So, I went with the Innova 3160 hand held for the time being. Good recommendations and I used it on my Porsche and did a baseline for fuel trims. Device works well. Can't say the same for the directions on how to get online with it and read/record your results. Took me a couple of trys and a couple of hours but ultimately, I got the right software on my laptop. $190 on Amazon.

With my upcoming Coyote build I'm still looking at "real software" for the laptop but it's pretty pricey with 4 vehicles and 3 makes... since we have 2 Fords I might start with just that package....

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,711 Posts
Depending what exactly you need, generic software may be good enough. All cars are required to output a reasonably complete list of parameters by the gov. You will get pretty complete info on anything having to do w/ emissions which is nearly the entire engine control system and fuel tank emissions system. I expect you will also get good info on the airbag system. My wife's 2010 Mustang had the abs light come on a year ago. W/ Torque I was able to pull codes and look at a partial list of the abs system data. A little searching on the web told me I needed an abs controller. Could have replaced it myself but the controller needs to be initialized after install which, of course, requires a Ford dealer scan tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts