Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to do some preventative maintenance and swap out my 15 year old Holley fuel pump with a new Edelbrock Victor Jr. 130 GPH mechanical pump. The old pump was down to 4.5 pounds of pressure and while still OK I did not want to end up getting stranded someplace with no fuel pressure.

To get access from the top I pulled the PS pump, loosened the pump mounting bolts a couple of turns and rotated the motor until I could feel the eccentric come off the pump lever and then removed the pump. In doing the mock-up I found it very difficult to hold the pump in place and start the bolts at the same time so cut the head off of a 3/8" x 1.5" bolt and slotted it with my Dremel. I then used this as a pin to help hold the pump while I started the other bolt without fear of cross-threading the timing cover. Worked like a charm. Once the first bolt was tight it was easy to remove the "pin" with a screwdriver and install the second bolt. Used a little Form a Gasket #2 and tighten to 20ft/lb. Easy-peasy. Scott

IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0345.jpg IMG_0346.jpg IMG_0347.jpg IMG_0349.jpg

Reactions: BldrRob and emac

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,028 Posts
Good idea. I was able to install mine pretty easily since it was on the stand at the time. It would be much more difficult in the car so this is a great tip.

·
295 Posts
nice trick , ive been a master certified mechanic since 78 dam i was 16 then , i used to install a stud on in that rear bolt hole on fords as well as the gm stuff , and just leave it and put a nut on it , but a trick i learned was to use weatherstrip glue on the removable parts ie thermostat fuel pump valve covers then the form a gasket on the other side , the glue holds the gaskets in place and you dont get messy smearing the rtv every where , it helped a lot back in the day when you had i a mile of vacuum hoses to fish a valve cover through to put on , just my 2 cents

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also to consider: If you rotate the motor to where the eccentric is at it’s lowest (highest?) point helps a lot. I like the studs idea best.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,028 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts