Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the CHP last week for the VIN verification. I was given my choice of available times and days. Took a great ride on "The Old Road" out to Newhall this morning and exactly at 9:00 one of California's finest came out, checked out the car, took plenty of time going over my Cert. of Orgin, Donor Information, "Bag of Receipts", SB100 paperwork and in 20 or so minutes I was back on the road with my California VIN Certificate rivited to the car... FFR4985K.
Nice guy, very polite and professional.

·
8,350 Posts
Congratulations...a real milestone. BAR next?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
Doug,
Congratulations! BAR is pretty straight forward.
Line up your brake and light stop as well.
Best regards,
Chuck

·
Junior Charter Member
75 Posts
The planets must be in alignment!

I got a phone call today from DMV.

They say they have the registration package I submitted in January 2005 (originally submitted in August). They promise my title will be in the mail in 30 days or less.

I didn't have a novelty VIN plate on the car when I went to CHP, so I have a new VIN.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
Doug,
When you do the lights, you will need two back up lights-I used two NAPA b/u lights with 1" x 1" AL angle that was mounted to the gas tank strap rear bolts. The lights hung down about 6 inches as to be visible. I only went in with one and needed two, according to the book that the brake and light guy had. The reason for this is that your car is being registered as a SPCN 2004 or 2005. The brake inspection is comprised of rotor,pad, drum and shoe dimension inspection and a stopping test from 20 MPH. The stopping distance is recorded on the form for the brake test. You will get a test result form for the lights and one for the brakes.
The inspector will aim your headlights, check turn signal and brake lights for operation.
Best of Luck!
Chuck

·
8,350 Posts
The only thing BAR checked on mine was emmisions; no lights, brake tests, at all.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The only thing BAR checked on mine was emmisions; no lights, brake tests, at all.
Mine too. All they asked was the engine ran and my ebrake had to work. I guess I got lucky as I don't have reverse lights.

·
3,798 Posts
It depends upon the DMV person when you got the SB100 stuff done, The one I worked with marked that I needed Brake and Light inspection while my friend at the window two places down does not need to get the inspection.

·
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WAIT JUST A MINUTE

where do I look and on what form? I don't have anything like that in my bag of "stuff" :(
Thanks,
Doug

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
Doug,
The DMV lady marked on the receipt form in pen what I had to do. She wrote three items with 1), 2), 3)...It was tacky but a road map! If brake and light inspections aren't needed-just do what they asked for! I needed all three steps.
Dale and spddemon-You're right!
BAR doesn't do the brake and lights-that's a DMV approved garage...
The title came in about two weeks after handing in all the paperwork.
Best regards,
Chuck

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Hey Doug-

You're almost there. I remember getting my VIN from the Ventura CHP. I had to wait while a bunch of other people got VINS for a variety of vehicles. But once he got to me, it only took 20-30 minutes. They used my FFR number as my VIN.

The BAR was easy. Took all of 30 minutes for them to check emissions. After that, it was back to the DMV to close out the paperwork and get plates.

2FAST

·
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's amazing how the process can vary from person to person and still get the same result. The only reference to brake and light inspections I can find is on the generic DMV forms that 2FAST posted for me 12 months ago. I have nothing like Chuck mentions.
FWIW: The night before my first visit to the DMV Bill32 sat me down and we did a complete, 1 page spread sheet on all my "stuff", attached it to the actual receipts and that is what I gave the DMV clerk on January 3rd. The CHP Officer used the same packet last Friday when issuing my VIN.
I'm going to have my lights aligned and checked anyway and we will see what happens. If a backup light is requested I can hook it up (I ran some extra wires back there for spares) and post the results.
AGAIN...thanks to all you guys for the advice and help. If ever there was a FFR that could be called a Ffrog Forum build this is it. I had zero experience but there it sits. Amazing. 4985K is a team effort.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
You made that sound way too easy, however, like all things legal, DOCUMENTATION may be the real key, and how well organized those docs. are probably makes life easy for both sides. I better get cracking.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
For the emissions inspection, what do they do or look for? 2Fast had a 503 smogged. What are they looking for? Specific limits on oxides of N etc. or that the gas cap is vented, PCV and other passive devices. Date of engine block?
Mine will be some kind of carburated 351W.
As I understand SB100 does not consider date of the block. That being the case, what are they looking for?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts