Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to order a starter and was wondering what everyone has had good experiences with...I have a no-donor build and was thinking of using a mini-starter type unit.

Any comments re the Summit, Powermaster (regular or XS), or Mr. Alternator (PMGR or Denso type) units?

·
3,701 Posts
How about the Ford Racing mini starter - thats what I am using on my 351.

"More starting power for your high compression engine

Ford: All 289, 302, 351C, and 351W engines, mini-starter

This mini high torque starter from Ford Racing is a great addition to your car. It features a high output 1.1 kw starter motor with internal gear reduction that will provide more cranking power, yet is 30% smaller than stock. It's smaller size brings the weight down 5 lbs. from OEM, and provides more header clearance. It's the perfect starter for vehicles with high compression engines and tight fitting headers. Buy yours today!"

About $151 from Summit - FMS-M11000A50

[ June 24, 2002, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: John / My427SC ]

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have Summit's Powermaster and it worked great with 10.5 to 1 compression even when hot. Good price too.

·
Super Moderator
29,443 Posts
CSI makes a killer starter. Weighs only 6.5 lbs. (compared to 14 for the OEM unit). Plus, has a full 2 hp cranking power.

Here is their web address

CSI Performance

-Keith

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Will likely go with a mini-starter from Ford ($150) or Mr. Alternator ($89 to $129)...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts