Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not very experienced with SB Fords. I have an 89 GT donor. I am going to convert it to a carb fuel system. Are the distributers interchangable across years? Will an older style 302 distributer work on this motor or do I have to worry about the distributer gears? Are there any other pitfalls I need to worry about? This is my first Ford. I am usually a GM person, but the Cobra is too cool! Thanks for the help.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
Pat,

You'll need a new duraspark distributor and a new fuel pump as a minimum.

Ben

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Just get a Ford disribuor out of an 85 mustang GT CARBED with a roller cam(steel gear). Make sure it meets all these criteria. Then either get a ford duraspark box(30 dollars) or an MSD with the rev limiter(it is a good idea) and you are set. MAke sure you go to a good parts store. The big chains, autoxone, pep boys etc, mess up the gear all the time.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,034 Posts
You DO have to worry about distributor gear!!!! You need one that will work with your cam. If you stick with the roller you need a steel gear.
If you go with a mechanical pump you will need to change the front cover. If you change the front cover you also need to change the water pump and pulley. The valve covers are also different(no PCV). That is all I can think of at the moment.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
The best Duraspark distributor is a Ford Duraspark from 1985, available rebuilt from Autozone, etc, at a reasonable price. That year comes with a steel gear, compatible with your roller cam; earlier Durasparks did not, and will need to have the gear changed ($40 or so). You can use this with a Duraspark box or an MSD or other box.

Or you can get an mSD Billet distributor for about $200+.

You can use the Mustang in-tank pump with a fuel pressure regulator--Mallory makes one, forgot the number, it's in the Summit catalog--to reduce the pressure. You will need a big enough pump for your horsepower, of course.

Forrest

·
Senior Charter Member
474 Posts
The oil pump drive shaft is a different length on the EFI distributer vs the non- EFI.

[ August 22, 2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Cemi ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.