Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or are there a bunch of posts on this topic (SB100) in the "Roadster" forum. I counted five on the first page.
I got a good idea what it is about, I just don't understand why it is such a hot topic. Is it new this year? What gives? :confused:

·
Senior Charter Member
447 Posts
It's not new, but with all the investigations into Titles Unlimited, there are a lot more people who are looking to go about registering their cars the right way. And, with only 500 registrations allowed per year, there have been a lot of people waiting. Considering that the 500 for this year have probably all ben used up as of today, next year will probably be quite similar.

Brent

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
SB100 Is a California bill that allows kit car owners to register their cars by either Body or motor year. As you can see this would make our kits a 1965 Cobra Roadster and would be except to Ca smog laws. This is a big deal for us and there are a limited number of 500 cars that are able to use the SB100 registration each year. The numbers for 05 are going quick and may be gone by the end of this week.

We are all rushing to get to the DMV before the numbers are gone.

·
5,042 Posts
I guess at this time of year it's as hot a topic here as 1099's and W-2's and W-4's are on other forums

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
SB100 .... 500 .... 1965 .... 1099 .... W-2 .... W-4 .... just too many numbers !!

I'm only interested in 2 :-

HP - enough
Tq - plenty

done

·
Non-mechanical SPF Owner...duh.
141 Posts
Don't forget all of the Hot Rodders. The State AG and DMV have been clamping down on Hot Rodders "buying" 1932 Titles thru the mail (for example) or using a Titling Service for their 193x Ford replicas. They are many more 193x Ford replicas in CA than there are 196x Cobra replicas. Plus there are all those customer "older looking" vehicles made by Boyd, Foose, Moal, etc... The State AG and DMV are clamping down on those, too. I read one post (not sure if it was here or over on CC) where a Cobra replica owner said words to the affect of: there were 8 of us at the DMV requesting SPCNS - 3 Cobra owners and 5 Hot Rod owners.

Given that CA (if considered an independent country) is something like the 7th largest econony in the world, this limit of 500 SPCNS for all Replica owners per year is big deal.

Hope this helps,
Randy R...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Registering in CA is a real pain. Prior to SB100 you had a few choices:
1. use old (pre '74) block and have no smog requirements
2. use new block and meet the smog requirements for that engine year
3. register via now defunct companies like Titles Unlimited

So, for with the FFR concept; buy the kit and a late model side impact car, you had to make the decision between 2. and 3. The same thing would hold if you went and bought a crate motor from Ford.

I chose #2, which required me to have all the smog equipment; smog pump, Catalytic converters and meet the emission standards for that year. Those that chose #3 are in a world of hurt now, as the DMV is now going to these individuals and requiring back taxes, fines and having to re-register the car.

SB100 opened up a 4th option, which allows you the benefits of #1, without having to have a pre 1974 block. I got #42 of the 500 available for the year. This will allow me the freedom to do what I want to the motor, eliminate having to test the car every two years and be a valuable thing to have when I go to sell it.

This is why they ran out in two days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts