Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Saying Good bye to my best friend

589 views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  Mike Forte 
#1 ·
My German Shepherd has a tumor and I will have to say goodbye to her tomorrow afternoon.

She looks just the same as she always has except for the tumor on her genetal parts. I can tell that she is very uncomfortable, but aside from that she is still very much the same old dog. She still looks at me with those brown eyes like Im about to give her another treat or an adventure of some sort. I never knew how much I loved this goofy old German Shepherd. Now I will bring about her end.

As anyone can see, I am still very conflicted about this. At the same time I know its for her own good.

David

:(

#5 ·
Some people just don't get it when it comes to dogs. The unconditional love we get from them is just amazing and very real.
I'm very sorry David.
Even though it's gonna be very hard, you're doing the right thing. You can't prolong her misery just to avoid your own. We'll be here for you.
donald

#6 ·
I'm sorry to hear of your impending loss David. You've enjoyed your time with her and I'll be she enjoyed her good life here with you. It's really tough to say goodbye... :(

Deepest condolences...

#7 ·
The hard part is that I dont want to be a wimp about it. I hate (ABSOLUTELY HATE) to be out of control emotionaly.

I am actualy quite fearful of Roller Coaster rides at the amusement park. Occasionaly, I forget that fact and find myself in line. Im a real tough guy while Im standing in line, but when the bar crosses my lap, I remember how much I hate Roller Coasters.

This visit to the vet is gonna be real smooth and OK, or a hundred times worse than that Pre-roller-coaster trepitition. I never wept on a carny ride, but this is much different. People will tell me its OK (and I know it really is), but I hate losing control.
That a loved ones pain & suffering will be stopped is the only benifit.

Donald "NAGA" words ring true. This isnt happening to ME. Its happening to my best friend.

Thankyou all for your support.

David

#8 ·
David I am so sorry for the impending loss of your shepard, a real member of your family. My heart goes out to you it IS REALLY TOUGH TO SAY GOODBYE to a good friend.

We had to put down our 15 year old Schnauzer last December 26, he struggled & barely made it thru the Christmas holidays. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, he went with me everywhere, everyday & I miss him terribly. But I had to do it for him, he was hurting.

Based on advise from fellow dog lovers here on the forum I immediately located another puppy from the local animal shelter, he is almost 8 months old now, & a real terror. He didn't take the place of the old guy...but the joy of him as a puppy has certainly helped me get over my grief. I'm glad I did it & I highly recommend getting another, it really helped. I'm sorry for your loss.

Best regards, Larry

#9 ·
MY sister had given me her dog earlier this year. We have had Zelda for a few months and the two dogs (Zelda and Libby) are the best of friends. Having Zelda has already been a real help too.

I think I will hold off getting a second dog for a while. Its gonna be time for Zelda to get some basic obediance training soon. I read that a dog takes to training better when its associations are mostly with humans during training. It has to do with the dogs focus on people rather than other dogs.

#10 ·
David someone on this forum sent this to me, I'll pass it on:

A Dogs prayer...

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather, hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

#12 ·
I don't know how some go through life without such a friend. As a single guy, without my devoted Greyhound, life just wouldn't be the same.

This has been probably the hardest thing to do for anyone and I can relate to it.

Take care David,

Randy

#13 ·
It's best to let her go while she's still the same as you always remembered.
I kept asking my parents to put our ~17 yr. old mutt to sleep as she was getting really slow and tired, they waited too long and she had a stroke when they weren't home. Me and my sister - teens at the time- had to load her into the car as she was paralyzed and drive her to the vet and have her put to sleep - very hard on my sis.
I would have much rather left her at the vets while she was still smiling and licking.
We have a 6mo. old Golden mix that I hope makes it 15yrs.+ so my daughter will be in her 20's when we have to let her go..Good luck and chin up..
I'm the same way with my emotions..
Jon

#15 ·
It is impossible not to be conflicted, because you love your dog so much. Suggest you google "Rainbow Bridge" this afternoon.

Da Bear

#17 ·
The only dogs I have ever owned have been German Shepards. Great breed. Seeing as God has one, I'm pretty sure you'll see your dog again someday.
Sorry to hear that you are going through this. But something tells me your dog understands, and appreciates what your about to do for it.
Paul

#18 ·
She's in a better place -- She's in a better place -- She's in a better place. Having done this on 4 occasions I just keep repeating it over and over. I am also emotional about this and it never gets any easier. Just bought a new Bouvier des Flanders.. We've got a pair now.. It's all good in a dog's eye. Un-conditional love 24/7.. Brian

#19 ·
Originally posted by Bigguy:
My sympathies are with you. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about having to do the same to my best friend.
My feelings as well

I to have Germans and can feel your pain, I dread the day we lose one.
Hang in there and may God be with you both.

#20 ·
Grace and I had to put down her 83 yr old mothers dog two weeks ago due to a constant bleeding tumor on him lip that surgery did not corrrect. We walked him 4 blocks to the vet’s office knowing this was he last walk on this earth. I let him smell and pee on very thing along the way. He was so happy to be out for a walk on a cool summer morning, smiling all the way to the vets. His mouth started to bleed while waiting for the vet and I knew this was the right thing to do for him. The procedure to put him down went quickly and the tears came rushing out of my eyes. I still think about him almost every day. Dogs are nothing but pure unconditional love.

David, I’ll be thinking of you and your best friend.

#21 ·
Be proud of the life you furnished her and the joy she gave you in return.

There is a special place in Heaven for all God's creatures. Sick dogs are made whole again and can play forever. Theres endless fields of grass and cold streams running through them. Not such a bad place.

#23 ·
Emotions are part of life and an important part. My lab is 5 years old and one day she wont be here, its tough to even think of it, let along having it happen. Its ok and healthy for you to open up and have a good cry over your pup, nothing wrong with that at all.
Do whats best for your dog.

Take care

#24 ·
I'm a veterinarian by trade, and what you'll be facing tomorrow will likely hit you much harder than you'll expect. It's the hardest part of our chosen profession, but if your puppy's not enjoying the day to day life as she experiences it, then it's time to make that call. So many people want them to "just go in their sleep", but that rarely happens, at least not when you expect it to. I've had to put my own pets to sleep, and that sucks, but when my old lab quit eating (and she lived for food!) I knew it was time. If you've never gone through it before, I'd encourage you to stay with her during the procedure. Some people just leave them with us and they leave, which is OK I guess, but most who stay are glad they did. It's really quite easy for them, easier than for you. I tell people it's basically an overdose of a general anesthetic - if you've ever had general anesthesia, where you were anesthetized for surgery, what you remember from the experience is what she'll experience.. The way we do this at my office is as follows: One, we try to schedule these for the end of the day, when everything else is pretty much wrapped up.. you dont' want to be there waiting nor do you want to be looking at others coming in with puppies, kids running around, etc.. Two, neither you nor the doctors there want to feel rushed at all, and you may want to stick around a bit afterwards. If the patients are still generally pretty alert, we'll give then a sedative injection in the hip first.. this combination is basically the same combination of drugs given before any routine surgery as a pre-anesthetic agent. This will make her pretty sleepy to quite sedated before the other injection is given. This takes 5-10 minutes, and it'll give you a few minutes to see her getting sleepy, and she'll know you're there with her. Once she's out from the initial sedative drug, the euthanasia solution is slowly administered IV, usually in either the front or rear leg. She'll be unconscious by this time, so she won't feel the needle stick or anything else by this time. As the drug is slowly administered, she'll be anesthetized, as the drug usually is a pentobarbitol anesthethetic combination. As the remainder of the drug is administered, the overdose will stop her heart and shut down the respiratory centers in her brain. She wont feel a thing, and at most will take a few deep breaths as she's being anesthetized. In our old, tired patients the transition is normally very quiet and peaceful..... then when you realize she's gone it'll hit you very very hard, so don't be surprised, and don't be embarassed.. And don't be surprised if your vet doesn't say much, 'cause if your pet is one he or she has worked on much, then it affects us too....
You will feel better soon as you realize you did the right thing.....
I'll hoist a beer tonight in memory of your pet...
Ed Hunter DVM
BTW, if you have any other ?'s tonight just email me off list... englandrunvet@verizon.net

#25 ·
David N: Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your dog. Know that you are doing the right thing and it is best for Libby since she won't suffer any longer. Last September we had to put our 9 year old golden retriever down...it was very hard on us also - so hard I couldn't do it the first time. So, I actually (selfishly) brought her home for another couple of nights to spend time with her before having her put to sleep. Made it a little easier knowing that I'd spent a little more focused time with her.

Snakebit: Thanks for the dog prayer.

Ed: Thanks for the info...would have been good for me to read last year prior to the procedure.

#26 ·
We had a German that was our retired K9. At 11 years young she had tumor/growth in her belly that was too involved to remove. My cousin is a vet, and took care of her for a couple of days and let me know that letting her go would be the best thing to do. When I realized how much she had become part of our lives, I had a tough time keeping my eyes clear. A few days after her passing I went back to his office to get her leash and collar. A woman who breeds Akitas had brought in a pup to be put down because it was deaf. I decided that I needed that puppy to help me get along. So after she was treated for parasites in the ears (the dog, not the breader) we found she was not deaf, just hard of hearing. (She fits quite well with me, I have too much white noise in my ears all the time). I had too much space devoted in my soul to not have a dog around. Best of luck to you and your family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.