Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German Shepherd has a tumor and I will have to say goodbye to her tomorrow afternoon.

She looks just the same as she always has except for the tumor on her genetal parts. I can tell that she is very uncomfortable, but aside from that she is still very much the same old dog. She still looks at me with those brown eyes like Im about to give her another treat or an adventure of some sort. I never knew how much I loved this goofy old German Shepherd. Now I will bring about her end.

As anyone can see, I am still very conflicted about this. At the same time I know its for her own good.

David

:(

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,062 Posts
I am sorry to hear that, my dog had to be put down this past january due to what we believe was kidney failure. I never realized how much i loved her until i saw her in that condition. My deapest condolences

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,033 Posts
We had to put down our boxer about 9 weeks ago. It was hard on the whole family. You have no idea how attached you get to these guys! It was a hard decision but it had to be done. You are in our thoughts.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
18,090 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your impending loss David. You've enjoyed your time with her and I'll be she enjoyed her good life here with you. It's really tough to say goodbye... :(

Deepest condolences...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hard part is that I dont want to be a wimp about it. I hate (ABSOLUTELY HATE) to be out of control emotionaly.

I am actualy quite fearful of Roller Coaster rides at the amusement park. Occasionaly, I forget that fact and find myself in line. Im a real tough guy while Im standing in line, but when the bar crosses my lap, I remember how much I hate Roller Coasters.

This visit to the vet is gonna be real smooth and OK, or a hundred times worse than that Pre-roller-coaster trepitition. I never wept on a carny ride, but this is much different. People will tell me its OK (and I know it really is), but I hate losing control.
That a loved ones pain & suffering will be stopped is the only benifit.

Donald "NAGA" words ring true. This isnt happening to ME. Its happening to my best friend.

Thankyou all for your support.

David

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
David I am so sorry for the impending loss of your shepard, a real member of your family. My heart goes out to you it IS REALLY TOUGH TO SAY GOODBYE to a good friend.

We had to put down our 15 year old Schnauzer last December 26, he struggled & barely made it thru the Christmas holidays. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, he went with me everywhere, everyday & I miss him terribly. But I had to do it for him, he was hurting.

Based on advise from fellow dog lovers here on the forum I immediately located another puppy from the local animal shelter, he is almost 8 months old now, & a real terror. He didn't take the place of the old guy...but the joy of him as a puppy has certainly helped me get over my grief. I'm glad I did it & I highly recommend getting another, it really helped. I'm sorry for your loss.

Best regards, Larry

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MY sister had given me her dog earlier this year. We have had Zelda for a few months and the two dogs (Zelda and Libby) are the best of friends. Having Zelda has already been a real help too.

I think I will hold off getting a second dog for a while. Its gonna be time for Zelda to get some basic obediance training soon. I read that a dog takes to training better when its associations are mostly with humans during training. It has to do with the dogs focus on people rather than other dogs.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
David someone on this forum sent this to me, I'll pass it on:

A Dogs prayer...

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather, hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
David:

I feel your pain. This is one of the most difficult times in life. There is no shame in being emotional about it.

God speed to you & her!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,724 Posts
I don't know how some go through life without such a friend. As a single guy, without my devoted Greyhound, life just wouldn't be the same.

This has been probably the hardest thing to do for anyone and I can relate to it.

Take care David,

Randy

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
It's best to let her go while she's still the same as you always remembered.
I kept asking my parents to put our ~17 yr. old mutt to sleep as she was getting really slow and tired, they waited too long and she had a stroke when they weren't home. Me and my sister - teens at the time- had to load her into the car as she was paralyzed and drive her to the vet and have her put to sleep - very hard on my sis.
I would have much rather left her at the vets while she was still smiling and licking.
We have a 6mo. old Golden mix that I hope makes it 15yrs.+ so my daughter will be in her 20's when we have to let her go..Good luck and chin up..
I'm the same way with my emotions..
Jon

·
Klingon Empire - Earth Outpost #23
811 Posts
It is impossible not to be conflicted, because you love your dog so much. Suggest you google "Rainbow Bridge" this afternoon.

Da Bear

·
16,719 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,065 Posts
She's in a better place -- She's in a better place -- She's in a better place. Having done this on 4 occasions I just keep repeating it over and over. I am also emotional about this and it never gets any easier. Just bought a new Bouvier des Flanders.. We've got a pair now.. It's all good in a dog's eye. Un-conditional love 24/7.. Brian

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Originally posted by Bigguy:
My sympathies are with you. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about having to do the same to my best friend.
My feelings as well

I to have Germans and can feel your pain, I dread the day we lose one.
Hang in there and may God be with you both.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Grace and I had to put down her 83 yr old mothers dog two weeks ago due to a constant bleeding tumor on him lip that surgery did not corrrect. We walked him 4 blocks to the vet’s office knowing this was he last walk on this earth. I let him smell and pee on very thing along the way. He was so happy to be out for a walk on a cool summer morning, smiling all the way to the vets. His mouth started to bleed while waiting for the vet and I knew this was the right thing to do for him. The procedure to put him down went quickly and the tears came rushing out of my eyes. I still think about him almost every day. Dogs are nothing but pure unconditional love.

David, I’ll be thinking of you and your best friend.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts