Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
552 Posts
I've been doing it gradually for about 6 months. But there are parts as you get closer to the frame where I think an oxy/acetylene or plasma torch will be required.

·
Senior Charter Member
699 Posts
I finally called a local salvage yard and paid them $75.00 to haul it away. I didn't have the time or patience to part out the damn thing and I wanted my other shop bay back.
At first they didn't want it (no engine or drivetrain) then I offered to pay them to take it.

·
Charter Member
3,488 Posts
They dragged mine away on the ramp truck $50 plus a 20 dollar tip. I was happy to get rid of it, it was a donor teardown completion milestone

Rob Baker

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,021 Posts
I put an ad in the local Tradin Times and sold it for $200

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
I cut mine apart with a big big wheel on an angle grinder. Took about half an hour and I had about 10 pieces that I can carry by myself.

I did take off anything useable from the carcass first in case anybody over here ever needs mustang parts...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Used a swazall to cut-up all the body parts from my donor and tossed them all into a community metal recycle bin. Got rid of the unsightly chassis sitting in my driveway/garage and the community center made money from the scrap metal. Was not a problem, took about 3 days, but it was kind of fun and great for stress relief!!!

Allan

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Have you called the scrap yards recently? Scrap steel is sky high these days (about $65/ton for light iron, ie car bodies) and a local yard might just pick it up for free to make a few $$.

·
7,097 Posts
Originally posted by Lukas M.:
I cut mine apart with a big big wheel on an angle grinder.
If you do this make sure it's the right type of wheel! There was a thread or an articel of a guy that used the wrong wheel and it broke sending a shard into his femoral artery. He promplty beld to death!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
I remember reading that, too. Made me put the guard back on again so I have to go with one size smaller wheels. And I obviously always wear eye protection, gloves and long clothing.

For the donor, I used a wheel that said steel on it and it sliced through the car in seconds! Cutting right through the floor in the passenger compartment takes a minute from side to side. I was shocked!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
The scrap yard here would not take mine becasue of the issues with stolen cars. I had to bring it in - in pieces. Took one day with a saz-all and a couple of different blades (I bent them beyond use) and some beer. Two trips to the yard with my little van, 580 lbs -> $5.80

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Plasma cutter = 20 minutes

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
If you have any interior pieces in good shape or a good exhaust system, it's worth at least a few hundred.

·
Charter Member
1,103 Posts
I got just over $40 for the carcass at a scrap yard. It weighed 1500 lbs. I drug it onto my flatbed trailer with 2 sheets of plywood between the carcass and the trailer. They just grappled it off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts