Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone with the skill set create a poll of how many F5 user are/were satisfied with the Wilwood brake system provided by Factory Five/ A yes/no would work. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
My own experience would make a straight yes/no answer difficult.

My front calipers from an MK3.1 kit did indeed lock up and completely smoke rotors, pads, and calipers.

However, they sat essentially unused for 11 years, as I got my kit in Sep 2008 and got it on the road Nov 2019.

Unclear how much that time contributed to the failure of the components ... but I work in an industry whose product;
Hard Disc Drives; are sensitive to long term storage conditions ... so I get the failure.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I am using the FFR provided brakes in my build (2012). Non powered. They do stop well but do take a fair amount of pedal pressure especially when you are used to power brakes in other cars. If I had it to do over I would look into adding power brakes. I have tried using different pads but the pedal effort isnt significantly better. They do stop very well you just have to get used to non power assist.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
No problem so far with the calipers found the pads were terrible, scared the crap out of me. Bought HAWK HP+ & can stop in under 100 feet without lock-up from 60mph on the street.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Depends on which Wilwood setup you're asking about. For some years, Factory Five sold a Roadster Wilwood setup that was a robust 6-piston front but single piston rear with a solid rotor. I had that setup on my #7750 build. Worked OK, but I think most agreed the single piston rear was a little light and the rotor on the small side. Now for the 2015+ IRS setup, they have a setup with the same 6-piston front and a 4-piston rear with a similar sized hat/rotor as the front. Also, FWIW, this system uses a separate e-brake caliper. I have this setup on my 20th Anniversary Roadster and also my new Coupe build. Both without power assist using the Wilwood pedal box. Both are very strong and I recommend. Although certainly not cheap. Some have gone to even more aggressive pads with this setup than the stock ones provided. I haven't found that necessary, but that's an available option.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Good point edward. Lots of different set ups out there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No problem so far with the calipers found the pads were terrible, scared the crap out of me. Bought HAWK HP+ & can stop in under 100 feet without lock-up from 60mph on the street.
Ditto for me. Was an expensive exercise getting pads out to Australia, but well worth it. The important take away is that the car now stops as it should. Downside is I now spend more time cleaning my wheels. After a few hundred kilometres, the rims are coated with brake dust. I go drive in the hills quite a bit, which leads to a reasonable amount of braking. Dust is less of an issue cruising around town, but where's the fun in that?
It is to the point that if I am going to car show I will drive very gently and avoid excessive brake application.

Still satisfied with the solution. I would have liked to have fitted willwood, but our inspection Dept wouldn't allow it.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts