Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa will be giving me a coupon for one year of Satellite radio, I pick the carrier. I will get a hidden radio, no CD, as my car will kill that quickly. I will use the Satellite radio for music, as well as transfer it to my truck as well.

My needs for the radio are easy, I will use it primarily for music, I am HUGE blues afficianado, with JHazz as well, and southern/classic rock.

Which of the services in your opinion is better for the music channels, and which unit is most portable and easilly transferred from car to car?

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
One vote for Sirius. I love it. Can't recommend a radio however, as mine is hardwired into my factory head unit. One blues channel, multiple jazz and rock channels.

Joe

·
8,269 Posts
Dan.

I have XM but truthfully the music channels are very similar between the two services. I have one of the portable players (Pioneer) with a home kit and a car kit and it gets used all the time. Take a look at the Samsung here it's a nice compact player and is very economical. http://www.xmradio.com/xmp3/index.xmc

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
Dan,
Since you have particular tastes go to their websites ad take a look at their offerings. Both list the programming they have.
HTH
Chris

·
Junior Charter Member
65 Posts
I am a Parrot Head/Buffett fan... SIRIUS has Radio Margaritaville. It is worth it JUST for that. They both have there + and -'s... One station dedicated to buffett...SIRIUS gets my vote.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
had XM no NASCAR now so sirius here i come got to listen to my boys.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Seven words: Theme Time Radio Hour with Bob Dylan. Only on XM.

·
Junior Charter Member
329 Posts
Xm with a pioneer inno and a car kit still need to use the antenna at least way up here in the tundra. Using ear bud headphones as I cant hear anything other than the cobra scream without them. Inno is also a mp3 palyer and records xm if you want to save a song.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Russ, it sounds like you listen to the exact same thing I do! Channels 40 and 164 are on my tuner 98% of the time.

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Do you guy's have problems with reception?
I have XM & it tends to fade in & out, even when I have clear views of the sats.
Very irritating when trying to listen to a good song.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also have both. For the oldies Sirius is hands down better, but as suggested above you should probably check out thier programming for your taste.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just went & looked at both, the Sirrus unit seems to be better sujited for use in multiple vehicles.

Now to find a head unit I can put in the Cobra's trunk, I'l still looking at the Secret Audio, but I want to be able to run a hard audio line from the Sirrus head unit into an Aux input in the radio, so I don't have to deal with the head unit radio issues.

·
Senior Charter Member
610 Posts
I have an alpine deck with sirius in my car. I like it.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Chep: Why not just bypass the radio in the trunk idea?? I had one, rigged up with a wireless remote IR repeater - was a MP3/CD/AM/FM unit with inputs for my MP3 player - this fed an amp then out to 4 cockpit speakers and bass shakers in the Kirkeys. The IR repeater crapped out so I replaced it, the second one lasted about 2 months, finally took the whole radio out of the trunk. Now I just have a small portable MP3 player feeding directly into the trunk mounted amp. Much simplier, works just as well, more trunk space to boot... My MP3 player picks up FM so I still get the radio when I want it...

·
7,097 Posts
I just put a XM Roady in the wife's car. Couldn't have been easier! Off course you need an existing radio...

Two words why I won't use sirrius...Howard Stern...I'm not putting money into his pocket.

Randy....I was scrolling channels yesterday and had two NASCAR channels on XM????

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ed,

Hmmm....

Good alternative! I will research that, check on amps with the line level input available.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts