Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started sanding the body. Crap! I forgot how tiring this is.
Did 4 hours straight and have earned my beer ( or two or ....???).
It is relentlessly boring but keeping a picture, in your mind, of the finished product, seems to make the time fly and give extra energy - for a while.
I'm hoping the weather stays relatively mild for a few weeks to allow me to finish the body, finish the hood (adding a fiberglass scoop - not a fan of rivets) and start on the featherfill. Anyway that's my goal before winter sets in. If I don't make it - no big deal, there's always spring which comes fairly early here. Main goal? paint by end of April.

·
Junior Charter Member
571 Posts
I remember the sanding days.
Don’t miss them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff, at my age, I think this is my last one.
I have now have about 90% of the body sanded at 80 grit. Still have a couple of grades to go to end at 180.

Question for all: I am doing the sanding in my driveway so it is an easy clean by washing the hours of red labor away. A neighbor approaches me and asks " is that stuff harmful for the environment?". I told him, just keep him quiet, "it is fairly neutral. It's not paint or fiberglass". Satisfied, he left.

Is this harmful? I mean the residue, not fibbing to him.

·
Not a waxer
11,553 Posts
Is this harmful? I mean the residue, not fibbing to him.
I hope not...I've probably sucked in 50 pounds of it over the years. Seriously, I don't know but am sure there are hazards to extreme exposure. When the weather allows I do as much as possible outside but whether outside or in if I'm really stirring it up I wear good particulate mask nitrile gloves and eye protection. I've found that frequent applications of this also helps:

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
571 Posts
I’m sure it’s not good for you, but I doubt the environment is severely harmed by your song body work.

Tell the neighbor that the fibreglass mites eat the dust.
I told an environmentalist that rubber mites eat the rubber when I do a burnout and that’s why the black marks fade from the road over time. He believed me and was satisfied that I was not negatively affecting the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Junior Charter Member
2,852 Posts
You should have said...

No I don't think it's harmful at all, itsssss jubbbpst gelcoathhhhhh are bligga mwah gooo arrrrhhhhhhh!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope not...I've probably sucked in 50 pounds of it over the years. Seriously, I don't know but am sure there are hazards to extreme exposure. When the weather allows I do as much as possible outside but whether outside or in if I'm really stirring it up I wear good particulate mask nitrile gloves and eye protection. I've found that frequent applications of this also helps:

Cheers,
Jeff
I'm with you all the way, Jeff, except for the brand of beverage. With mine, the label is appropriate.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts