Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see if I can get myself in "sales mode" for this post....

San Francisco FFR folks! Listen up! Anyone interested in participating in a "marathon build" in the Bay Area this summer?

I'm planning on doing a full-donor MK III build in the Redwood City area. A dealer pal of mine offered me space in his warehouse, with some tools and an air compressor. I'm hoping to arrange for late June delivery or so, with the bulk of the build happening in July and early August if still unfinished. Before end-of-summer, the car needs to be drivable back to Texas. It won't be easy, but it's also not unrealistic if I work on it full-time and have help from you experts. It's my last summer fling, I suppose, before I emerge from early retirement and get back to the real world.

I'm fairly mechanical but have never built a car. Anyone volunteering to participate in a hard-core build party or two will get pizza, beer, and other affordable goodies to motivate you through a day of learning about the new MK III and helping me get on the road.

If you SF guys can ping me back and let me know if you can come and play, that'd really help motivate ME to make my kit order this week. I can hardly wait to get started -- donor search is underway!

Cheers, John
<-- Soon!!!

·
2,203 Posts
John,

Why do you want to rush it? Half the fun of these cars is building them and figuring out what you don't know.

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ChrisH -- It's not so much that I want to rush the build. It's that if I don't finish by fall, I never will. I'm currently 28, and have been "retired" for about eight months due to a family situation I needed to handle here in Texas. Come September or so, I'll either go back to being a working stiff or go back to school, and neither one is really going to allow me much time to build a car.

As you point out, the build is half the fun. On the other hand, DRIVING is the other half. And no job or education is going to keep me from driving. I want to do the building this summer while I have the luxury of working on it hard-core and full-time, and then I'll have the luxury of driving it and improving it and playing with it for the next however many years.

Obviously you learn the most when you limp and fight your way through the whole build on your own. I just don't see reinventing the wheel everytime, though. If some folks in San Fran with a lot of experience can help me out, I can learn just as well from them and avoid a lot of potholes that might result in yet another unfinished project car. The world has enough of those! Plus, for guys that haven't ever worked with an MK III or a newer donor, I thought some of you might be interested in playing around with what's changed in the new kit.

So, can you help? :D

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Count me in, just give us a good date.

Hank

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Well, does enthusiasm count? Are you looking for experienced people?

Seeing that I've got some time on my hands, I'd like to help. I'm mechanically inclined and I've willed myself to believe I can build my car, when it arrives some 2+ years from now. :(

Being a complete donor, and the time frame alotted, I suspect you're not going to be getting very pretty parts when it's all installed; there may not be time to clean up rust or oxidation. Depending upon the donor, bearings, seals, gaskets, bolts, etc, may need replacement.

Personally, rushing such a project of this scale is asking for problems. So many electrical gremlins can crop up, we don't know if you ordered any options that require special attention, painting needs to be planned AND scheduled with whomever you decide will do the job, will you have all the necessary tools and measuring equipment that might be needed, and of course the logistics of our own schedules.

One last thing: have a plan and be willing to listen to criticism. Everyone that "may" be coming to help you AND have already built one, may have a difference of opinion on how something should be approached. Me, I'll be the grunt following orders because I just want to learn (sort of like the MOtt's school only more local)but others like HankL may have other plans. I'm not saying it'll happen, but just being the devils advocate just in case....

Let me know. I've got summer plans myself so if time permits...

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
I'm building mine in Redwood City. I'd be glad to join the team and help out.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm going to be in Yuba City during that time frame...Hmmmm, strong possibility

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttt

The guys that have responded so far are GREAT -- I'm excited about the build already. Can you e-mail or PM me with your contact info (e-mail and/or phone)?

The order was placed this morning. Stay tuned for separate brag-post. :D

Thanks, John

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Good Luck. The thing that slowed me down the most was making upgrades and waiting for those parts. Also trips to the auto parts stores to get the bolts that I didn't have from the donor.

If you do a straight donor build, you should be able to pull it off.

If you can get the donor broken down and send out the wire harness for a wire diet asap, that would help too. The wire diet takes about 3 weeks or so, but you'll have the harness plugged in and ready to go a lot faster than if you try to do it yourself.

Will Titling in CA be a problem? They have those SB numbers they have to give out. Check on that too so you can make sure that if it's driveable, that you can actually title it there...otherwise, you may need to truck it back to TX.

Try to do as much as you can now so that when you have guys there to help, they have something to work on.

Good Luck.

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan --

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think that both the time constraints and the budget constraints will keep me away from too many upgrades! So, that will also hopefully keep away the delays.

As for titling in CA...not an issue. I've got a dealer plate for driving it back to TX, where registration is pretty easy stuff.

Also, no engine lift at the warehouse, but I did find out that we've got a forklift. I'm thinking that can be rigged to work, maybe?

John, Jeff, Rickar, others, thanks again -- look forward to working with you guys this summer! Looks like delivery will be right at the end of June or beginning of July unless I get bumped up the red-list.

·
1,569 Posts
I can help too if timing permits. I am currently wading my way through my build and learning along the way.

Curtis

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
I'm in San Rafael and I'd be glad to help. There are many other very experienced builders in the Bay Area that can either offer advice or assistance.

I have an engine hoist and can bring it down and leave it while you are building. I also have a compressor and air rivet gun I could bring along, if it was "rivet alum. panel day" .

As other's have mentioned, You need to plan very, very well to accompolish such a short build. If all you need is labor and some adivce it will work. If you need mods and wait for paint and body work you won't complete in the time frame you want. The body and paint could take longer than the chassis and engine build. 60-90 days for body and paint is not uncommon.

If going donor route you must have all parts stripped, rebuilt and ready to bolt on. We will be geared up to work and not wait for parts to come or the engine to be rebuilt.

It can be done, but your planning will be the most important thing in meeting your time frame.

Good luck.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
John, if this works, you'll have one helluva get-together!!!! Forget the can or bottles of beer, bring on the KEG!!!!

I'll bring my digi-cam so we can have some "caption" opps for everyone.

WARNING: If we can't see your head in the picture, (or if that's the ONLY thing we see in the picture), BEWARE!!!! Caption fodder ala-carte

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No kidding. These guys are AWESOME! I just hope half of them will show up.

I think I said so above, but delivery is in or before the last week of June, so building can begin in earnest after my July 4 vacation. Of course, after I buy one, the first task will be major donor tear-down. This morning, the FFR folks told me that I should be able to tear down a recent Mustang for the MKIII in a weekend without working too hard. I'm a bit skeptical, but also hopeful! I'll need to spend some time cleaning the parts, too. Most guys want to help build -- not strip and recondition. I can understand that, but hope that at least one will be interested in MKIII donor surgery.

Also, some of the guys here build real masterpieces - I'd quickly give a few of them "better than the original" marks. That's not my goal. My goal is a good-looking driver that I can enjoy spending time in. FFR talks about a "50/50" car in their brochure -- looks good from 50 feet while going 50mph. I don't need a showcar, but I might want to build a bit better than that...say a 30/30 car.

As for paint, someone mentioned that could take as long as my entire build. My dealer pal has a paint booth, so I'm thinking I may learn how to paint. OR, if one of you guys in San Fran is really ambitious or has done it before, you wanna get in a paint suit and jump in the booth with me? It'll save a ton of time and money, and while I won't get a show finish, I bet I can get a finish that'll look good on a weekend cruiser.

I'll have my digicam (SLR) to document the entire strip and build. Everyone else is doing it -- most probably better than me -- but I feel like setting up a build site is part of the responsibility to the community. Particularly since I'll be on the early edge of the MKIII builds that more and more people will be doing in the future.

Again, what a FANTASTIC group of guys. I can hardly wait to get started! (I was warned about this waiting phase...arg....) :D

Cheers, John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts