Factory Five Racing Forum banner

681 - 700 of 774 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
British Racing Green
Even though it hasn’t been that long since my last update, my project has taken a big step forward.

In fact, to mark the occasion, I am even prepared to spell the word incorrectly.

Yes, I have color! :cool:

The Body Shell

Once the sunshine was covering the whole of my driveway, it looked fantastic.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Hood

The Issues
Unfortunately, the photos are quite flattering as I’ve been having numerous problems with the paint.

I’ve since discovered this came down to two factors:
- The temperature outdoors, as we’ve just had our hottest June day in over 40 years!
- Brush operator error, as I kept putting on the paint too thickly.

This resulted in both small scale ripples…

And major scaling, which was pretty soul destroying to see happen.

Still, the good news is that all the problems can be sanded back and repainted.

You can see some of my patchwork repairs on this photo of the hood.
( Plus the reflection in the hood bulge made me smile too. )

Eventually both the body shell and hood will get a fresh top coat of BRG to unify the finish.

The Trunk Lid:
In fact, this is the first piece where I have now completed all the repair and repaint work.

So until next time, take care, Paul. :)

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Sorry to hear about your paint challenges. I understand how soul crushing it can be after all of your hard work, but as you said, sand it back to primer and give it a couple more coats.
I didn't catch it earlier, you are applying with a brush?! Wow! some of those panels look fantastic. I'm impressed.

That is going to be an Iconic British Sports Car! TOO COOL! :grin2:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
MPTech – Thanks. :cool:

The idea of painting the car with a brush started when someone give me a link to this YouTube video.

Initially, I started watching this and thought what on earth is this old bloke doing?

But within seconds of seeing him start to put the ‘dry’ brush into use my jaw dropped. :eek:

Since then, I watched a number of clips and these included people using a “two brush” technique:
- One wet to apply the paint.
- One dry to ‘lay off’/smooth out the paint before it started to dry.

Obviously, trying to replicate the skills of a master craftsman is a bit harder than it looks. :rolleyes:

But my real problem was the heat, which peaked at 34 C / 93 F, as there was no time to ‘work’ the paint at all.
( So the second, dry, brush didn’t get used as it just made a mess. )

Still, it was definitely a good idea in theory, as the smoothness of the finish on the hood bulge almost defied belief. :cool:

Other areas, such as the aero humps, just required a very gentle flatting back with 400 grit to achieve a smooth finish.
( Which was my basic plan for the whole car, flat/cut/polish. )

Unfortunately, other areas were clearly a lot rougher.

To make matters worse, as I tried to achieve a flat surface on the areas with too much paint…

I rubbed straight through the areas that didn’t have enough paint applied. :rolleyes:
( Although this photo also included areas I had to repair after the paint reacted. )

Despite the painting frustrations, I am looking forward to getting the car back on the road.

I have certainly resigned myself to living with whatever standard of paint finish I manage to achieve.

Given the Frankenstein nature of my build and the fact it is meant to be an old race car, a few paint scars seem appropriate.

And there are plenty of ‘real’ racing cars that look pretty good despite their lack of a shiny paint job. ;)

Cheers, Paul. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
Trials & Tribulations - Part 1
Regular readers of this build will know that things have not always gone smoothly over the years.

So it should come as no surprise that my attempts to paint the car have suffered a few problems too. :rolleyes:

We had booked a tree surgeon & his team to tidy up and prune various trees in our back garden.

Plan A was that I would have finished painting everything in the tent before they were due to arrive.

But with all of the adverse paint reaction problems I had, I needed to switch to Plan B to get the tent out of the way in time.

This involved getting my wife’s permission to temporarily leave the hood in the dining room.

Once I was able to get the tent back up in the garden & move the hood, I discovered this…

Yes, the foam mat I had under the hood to protect it, had disintegrated and stuck to the paint.

Still, at least I was able to sand all this off ready for a final coat of British Racing Green.

Before I got a chance to paint the hood, I was able to paint the underside of the trunk lid.

Then my luck really ran out as a freak gust of wind lifted the tent off the ground before slamming it back down.

Obviously, seeing the trunk lid on the outside of the tent was not a good sign.

But it was much worse on the inside.

The hood was knocked off his stand and picked up a few scars along the way.

The framework of the tent was badly damaged, but I was able to tape it together long enough to paint the hood.

I also managed to get another coat of BRG on the body shell sitting on my driveway. :cool:

A few hours after this my run of bad luck continued…

This time, it unexpectedly started raining heavily while I had just popped out for a short period.

Thankfully, my wife managed to get the cover on shortly after the rain started.

But, unfortunately, this still left a lot of rain all over the car. :sad:

Which has left water marks everywhere after I wiped the surface dry.

To make matters worse, the damage to the tent’s framework left the roof sagging.

Which, in turn, allowed water to pool on the roof, before leaking over the hood.

End of Part 1…

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
Trials & Tribulations - Part 2
Thankfully, it is not all bad news, as there are a few areas the brushed on paint looks great. :cool:

Although, I have to admit the hood bulge is not a fair representation of my brush work. :rolleyes:

So with all the water marks to deal with too, I will give everything a light flatting back.

Then I just need a run of dry weather to get what I really hope will be the final coat of BRG on.

Unfortunately, I can’t trust the tent to survive much longer, so I’ve moved all the parts out.

The trunk lid ended up in the Summerhouse.

My wife helped me carry the hood thru the house and reattach it to the hinges.

Painting the inside of the hood was a bit of unplanned extra work at this stage, but well worth it.

Now the lighting and camera angles in this next photo really flatter the paint finish.

But I still love the way it looks. :cool:

With lots of other ‘stuff’ going on at the moment, I guess it will be August by the time I get back on the road.

However, at least I know the car will look miles better in green compared to the old grey primer look.

PS
One other piece of good news is that another builder in the UK sent me these as a gift in the post.

Even though I was in the middle of flatting back the paint at the time, I had to test them out.

Thankfully, they are the same diameter as my previous lights, so they fit the plinths nicely and look great.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
More Painting Challenges – Part 1
Apologies, it has been a while since my last update.

The bad news is my car is still not back on the road, but the good news is that it is slowly getting there…

Previously, I had described how the rain damaged the paint before I could get the covers on.

Well, then the covers themselves managed to damage the paint when the rain really came down hard.

It wasn’t easy to get any decent photos, but I had literally thousands of small scratches everywhere.

There were also some bigger chips in the paint, including on my lovely shiny hood bulge. :sad:

This was particularly hard to take, as the reflections from this bulge were my favour part of the whole car.

So I gently rubbed the car down to take care of the both the water damage and the tarpaulin scratches.

Thankfully, it looked a bit better after being wiped down.

Then I recycled some of my children’s old bedding to help protect the paint from the tarpaulin.

I then had to pruned the ‘wall’ of my al fresco paint booth to give me a bit more space.

Before adding another coat of British Racing Green.

Whilst the photos might look OK, the reality was this coat of paint went on very badly.

By now I was pretty fed up with the whole process, especially as I didn’t have enough paint left for another coat.

But, eventually, I decided there was no point in trying to take a short cut at this late stage of the build.

So I ordered some more paint and tried to motivate myself for one final push…

End of Part 1…

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
More Painting Challenges – Part 2
So there was yet another round of flatting back all the painted surfaces and wiping them down.

After all the previous false dawns I’ve had with the ‘final’ coat of BRG, I really hoped this would be it.

I started with the inside surface of the hood, which does look so much better painted.

I then worked my way around the rest of the car on the driveway.

Before heading to the garden to take care of the trunk lid and smaller pieces.

These last two photos were a great boost to morale after all the hassle I’ve had to reach this stage. :cool:

In fact, even just starting to remove the plastic from the trunk opening seemed to lift my spirits.

Although, deep down, I knew there would still be a LOT of sanding required to achieve a smooth (ish) surface. :rolleyes:

End of Part 2…

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #688
More Painting Challenges – Part 3

[Mr Miyagi] ”Paint on… Sand off…” [/Mr Miyagi]

Whilst ‘Orange Peel’ is the traditional description of lumpy paint, I think ‘Lime Peel’ is more appropriate in this case. ;)

Either way, after leaving the paint to harden for over a week, it was time to start flatting it back.

This was the passenger side of the body shell and you can see how rough the finish actually is.

After the first few passes with my long board, the high spots were much easier to spot.

But further rounds of careful sanding really did start to make a big difference.

Eventually I was left with a surface that some ‘cutting & polishing’ should work wonders on. :cool:

So the really good news is that the idea of using a brush to paint the car and then sanding it back actually works.

The bad news is that there is a lot of sanding to do and it does take a lot of time and effort to do it.

Therefore this is still a ‘work in progress’ and I will continue to work my way around the car.

To avoid the risk of spending too long sanding one spot, I have been moving around the car.

I like the fact that you can see which areas are getting closer and which still need more work.

End of Part 3…

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
More Painting Challenges – Part 4
Even though I haven’t finished flatting back the whole car at this point, I did need to do some more painting.

As the finishing touch to my hood is going to be a band of yellow paint around the grille opening.

But I need to do some test painting first and experimented on the inside of the trunk lid.

This allowed me to see if painting the yellow directly on top of the BRG would work.

I just used a single coat of yellow here, but will use at least two coats on the hood.

Either way, I was pleased with how this test worked out.

So back on the car, I spent some time making sure the area around the hood opening was smooth.

This was then wiped down and masked off.

Before the first coat of ‘Signal Yellow’ could be applied.

Even though this will need a second coat, I can't believe what a big difference it makes.

Unfortunately, I hadn't even finished painting all the way around before the first unwelcome visitor arrived. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I couldn't get the whole car in the photo and the yellow masking tape is still in place…

But there are definitely signs that my car should look pretty good by the time I'm finished. :cool:

Especially when you consider the standard another builder suggested I should be aiming for was…

"like a 50 year-old race car that has been into the hay bales a few times in its life"

Which seems like a great place to end this round of updates.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Paul-

WOW, she looks great. Frankly, I think Tigger and Pooh made the difference in getting the paint right...

I really, really like the signal yellow accent! It really is going to help the BRG look great, and help the car look awesome!

I hope you are able to get all the paint work done before the weather turns on you. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for showing us your hard work and incredible patience you have shown on this build!

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
WIS89 – Cheers Steve. :cool:

The good news is that I am definitely on the home stretch now, but the bad news is that Autumn/Fall has arrived.

So I now have leaves starting to appear on my ‘garage’ floor.

And my garage ‘roof’ looks like this. :eek:

So I am just chipping away at the car when I can line up my spare time with dry weather.

When flatting back, the first coat of yellow on the nose was too thick in some places and too thin in others.

Plus, I ended up with yellow specs of dust all over the place. :rolleyes:

I’ve also made some progress on the rear corner of the driver's side.

So whilst progress is slow, at least it is sure.

Until next time, take care, Paul. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #692
Getting There – Part 1
Progress has been very slow since my last update due to a combination of ‘real’ work & weather.

So one day I just had to take a chance:
- I got up before dawn.
- Added an extra coat of yellow to the nose at first light.
- Then left the front end of the car uncovered all day while I went to work.

Thankfully, it didn’t rain and although it was dark when I got home, I could just pull the covers back on.

On other days, I’ve been going around trying to fix various problems with the BRG.
( Mainly areas where the sanding down had exposed the primer underneath. )

Here are just a few examples to get the general idea.

Which, obviously, lead to yet more rounds of flatting back.

I then reached the point where ‘enough was enough’, as I was way past diminishing returns now.

The harsh fact is that painting outside is not easy in the Autumn/Fall.

But, more importantly, I don’t need a perfect finish anyway and faults in the paint are OK.

As I’ve never wanted to build to a ‘Concours d'elegance’ standard and the ‘lived in’ ex-racer look works for me.

With the difficult decision to stop fixing problems made, I could start the final cycle of work…

Peeling off all the tape from the bonnet nose started well enough.

But I was left some sticky residue and paint ‘bleeds’ to deal with in some areas.

It took quite a bit of effort to clean everything up, but it was well worth the effort. :cool:

End of Part 1…

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
Getting There – Part 2
Then I started the final rounds of flatting back.

It got harder to spot the sanding work as the grit level got higher/finer.

Then I used some cutting compound and a polishing machine.

I should point out that after each of the stages above, the car was cleaned.

I should also point out that by this stage of the day, the clouds over head were making me feel a little nervous.

But I just had to keep pushing forward and hope for the best.

So the polish went on next…

Which left me with a finish that doesn’t look out of place on an ‘old’ car. :cool:

Note: The daylight was fading by this point, so I will try to get some better photos at the weekend.

I still need to follow all these steps for the trunk and headlight rims at some point.

But that is all for now, so until next time, take care, Paul. :)

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Looking GREAT Paul! :wink2:

I think the finish looks very race-car appropriate for your build. BRG & Yellow = British Classic!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
MPTech – Thanks. :cool:

I am actually quite surprized at what a difference the yellow band around the grille makes.

One Step Back, But More Steps Forward
It was already getting dark by the time I had finished the polishing the car in my last update.

So I was really looking forward to seeing the paint in daylight.

Unfortunately, when I removed the covers I found a 'tiger stripe' effect all over the place.

This was so hard to take, that I spent some time just wandering around the car in a bit of a daze, absolutely gutted. :sad:

This was early on Saturday morning.

But it was late Sunday afternoon before I found a pool of water in one corner of the passenger floor.
( From a leak in the car cover. )

Absolutely no idea how long that has been there, as it was hidden by the dust sheets covering the seats.

But the combination of rain outside and standing water inside has caused ‘damp’ under the covers messing up the paint/polish.

Despite this HUGE set back, I decided to dust myself down and push forward to get the car back on the road.
( I will come back to fixing the paint/polish problem another day. )

There were lots of little jobs to do, including treating the leather hood straps.

Fitting the gas cap.

All the holes in the bodywork needed to be drilled/cleaned where they had been part filled with paint.

Funny now little things like finally removing the newspaper from the dash lifted my spirits.

Hood straps and Union Jack badges.

Hood locks.

Rear number plate light, number plate & fog light/reflectors.

End of Part 1…

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #696 (Edited)
One Step Back, But More Steps Forward – Part 2
I cleaned up the holes to mount the headlights.

And fitted the headlight bowls on both sides.

Then did the same thing for the front indicators / turn signals.