Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I was not aware that the S10 tail shaft had a different mount spacing than the standard T5, and of course, I ordered the T5 trans mount. I guess the question is, should I reorder an energy suspension #3.1108-G, and deal with the approximately 3/4" difference in height, or make a new bracket to fit the S10 tail shaft, and then drill it to accept the T5 trans mount that I have? Not sure if I would be compromising the strength of the mount if I made a new bracket. If I go with the S10 mount, what would be the best way to make up the 3/4" difference in height? Three 1/4" pieces of plate? If done this way, should the spacers go between the trans mount and the tail shaft, or between the mount and the "A" frame?
I was also trying to figure how to torque the drive shaft bolts. The FFR instructions say to put the trans in gear, but I'm still rotating the shaft when in gear. Am I missing something?
OK, I'm on a roll, so if the trans and the third member are not in alignment, IRS car (T-Bird), should I try to pull the trans/engine over to the passenger side to straighten out the alignment back to the third member?

Rick

·
Caress of Steel
2,182 Posts
Forte may still make an S10 hybrid mount that works...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,559 Posts
Many of the guys have just redrilled the ES mount to fit the S10 bolt spacing because apparently the mounting pad is the same height as the Mustang tailhousing. If you go the spacer route, put them between the mount and the trans and use longer grade 8 or equivalent grade metric bolts.
You can only torwue your driveshaft bolts using the trans if the engine is in and your spark plugs are installed. Otherwise it will just spin. You can also wedge something like a prybar or crow bar against the floor to keep it from rotating as well.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I tried to use the forte mount, but it did not work for me. The other issue, besides the bolt spacing, is the angle adjustment of the transmission mount on the frame, and the S10 tail housing pad. I ended up using a Mustang mount, making a wedge to allow for the angle differential, and at the same time compensating for the bolt spacing.

Maybe there is a difference in how the mount is manipulated, when the S10 is being put into a MK1/2 vs a MK3/4.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Joe, I'm going to call him on Monday.

Mike, I looked at that possibility, but it would require the drill bit cutting in to the edge of the poly material, and my concern is compromising the mount.

Thanks guys.

Derald, we must have been typing at the same time. I'll talk to Mike Forte to see if the MK4 is different, although I saw threads with it mentioned back into 2010. Do you have a picture of what you did with the Mustang mount to make it work? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I swapped out the 302 and mid shifted T5 last winter for a 347 and TKO, so the 302 and T5 are at a storage unit. The mount is probably still with them, I will check to see where it is. Keep in mind, that I have a MK1, so it might be different than what you need.

Derald.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so I got to talk to Mike Forte, and he does still have the hybrid trans mount. Turns out it's 1/2" shorter, so it will require at least two 1/4" spacers, plus whatever else to level the transmission. I'll probably be ordering from him, along with a few other assorted parts that I'm going to need.

Derald, at this point, don't go to any lengths to check on that right now. I really appreciate the offer to check that out, but I think I have it solved.

PGCobra, I think I'll go with Mike's mount since it's designed to be used with the FFR. Thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
OK, so I got to talk to Mike Forte, and he does still have the hybrid trans mount. Turns out it's 1/2" shorter, so it will require at least two 1/4" spacers, plus whatever else to level the transmission. I'll probably be ordering from him, along with a few other assorted parts that I'm going to need.

Derald, at this point, don't go to any lengths to check on that right now. I really appreciate the offer to check that out, but I think I have it solved.

PGCobra, I think I'll go with Mike's mount since it's designed to be used with the FFR. Thanks.

Rick
I would not trust using spacers from top of mount to transmission, the mounting plate was designed to fit flush on transmission tail shaft, now you are going to put stress on the aluminum threads in tail housing since mounting plate is now against tail housing mount

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UrQ, the spacers are not going to be placed between the trans mount and the transmission, they'd be between the trans mount and the "A" frame, as many other builders have done. I haven't leveled the transmission to see what the space between the tailshaft bolt holes and the A frame will be, but at this point I'm not going to worry about it. It's an IRS car, so it should be easy to adjust as necessary.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
UrQ, the spacers are not going to be placed between the trans mount and the transmission, they'd be between the trans mount and the "A" frame, as many other builders have done. I haven't leveled the transmission to see what the space between the tailshaft bolt holes and the A frame will be, but at this point I'm not going to worry about it. It's an IRS car, so it should be easy to adjust as necessary.
The studs are not long enough as I have that mount and could not use it in the end, so had to use a normal T5 mount and re-drill the holes to match the S10 tail shaft bolt pattern

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I did the S10 swap on my Mk1. I used the energy suspension part for the S10, got some longer bolts and a couple of stacks of washers which also got the pinion angle correct.
I also used the Energy Suspension mount for the S10. Added a nylon spacer under the mount and small steel plate under the crossmember. Had to get longer bolts as PGCobra mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
cwrandolph, I see from your photos that the passenger side of the mount is not making contact with the A frame.

I am in the process of doing this install and have come to find that the s10 trans is on a 17 degree angle compared to the ford. I'm making a shim to ensure proper contact.

Have you found any issues with your setup?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
cwrandolph, I see from your photos that the passenger side of the mount is not making contact with the A frame.

I am in the process of doing this install and have come to find that the s10 trans is on a 17 degree angle compared to the ford. I'm making a shim to ensure proper contact.

Have you found any issues with your setup?
samadhi, I spent an hour or two yesterday putting a shim under the passenger side of the mount. I have not had any problem with the mount as it was but the shim allows even contact on the base of the mount. Thanks for pointing this out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts