Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
cap'n hook
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my body buck on an old boat trailer back in '08 so I could move it as needed. I thought I had tarped the body well but that was not the case! When I untarped it after a decade and removed the doors they had rusty water in them. What are my options?

Jim

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've had good luck removing rust stains from slop sinks and other non metal surfaces using CLR from Lowe's or Home Depot. I've also used chlorine bleach (carefully) with good results.

·
Junior Charter Member
643 Posts
Do you mean there is water between the door skins?
I would probably just make some 3/8” drain holes and let it dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
cap'n hook
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had good luck removing rust stains from slop sinks and other non metal surfaces using CLR from Lowe's or Home Depot. I've also used chlorine bleach (carefully) with good results.
Thank you.

·
cap'n hook
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The doors were laying under the body on the buck. I placed them with the inside facing up. I'm not sure how but water made its way under the tarp and when I removed the doors I poured rusty water out of them. Just wonder if they are damaged if not I'd like to clean them up and coat the inside with something.

·
Not a waxer
11,817 Posts
There is a 3/4" square tube structure inside that's kind of like a sideways "V". One tube runs basically horizontal from the upper attaching studs to the latch plate and the other angles from the lower studs to the latch plate. I'd cut enough fiberglass away from the flat area of the inner door surface to gain access so that you could get POR15 or Rust Encapsulator on the metal...then buy a pair of Herb's door panels to cover up the hole!

Jeff

·
cap'n hook
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thn
There is a 3/4" square tube structure inside that's kind of like a sideways "V". One tube runs basically horizontal from the upper attaching studs to the latch plate and the other angles from the lower studs to the latch plate. I'd cut enough fiberglass away from the flat area of the inner door surface to gain access so that you could get POR15 or Rust Encapsulator on the metal...then buy a pair of Herb's door panels to cover up the hole!

Jeff
Thank you! I'd thought about POR15 but had no clue what was inside or how to apply it.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts