Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Does the Russ Thompson wiring diagram below, eliminate the need to install the Ron Francis (RF) DPST Hazard Switch (substitute SPST switch shown in diagram), the RF SPDT Turn Signal Switch and the RF Dimmer Switch?

Russ; TURN SIGNAL WIRING.jpg

If yes, please comment on my dash layout below for completeness.

Dash panel layout (left to right) Format courtesy of Build Manual (http://kissmotors.com)

Notes:
1. All gauges are F5 Vintage
2. All switches and indicator lights supplied by F5
3. ARTTS-activated by Russ Thompson turn signal
4. RTTS- Russ Thompson Turn Signal

Dash panel layout (left to right)

— tachometer
— left- green signal indicator (ARTTS)
— top- blue high beam indicator ( “ )
— right- green signal indicator ( “ )
— bottom-red check engine signal indicator(what is best function to monitor?)
— reverse-reading speedometer

— top row gauges (left to right)
— oil pressure
— water temperature
— clock

— middle row (left to right)
— fan override switch, spst
— voltmeter
— fuel level
— hazard switch, spst used with RTTS

— bottom row (left to right)
— horn button
— ignition switch
— headlight switch with dimmers
— wiper switch
— heater/defroster switch
— hazard warning signal indicator

— steering column
— self-canceling turn signal (RTTS)
— high beam/flasher button (RTTS)
— steering wheel
— below dash
— battery cutoff switch

·
Registered
307 Posts
On my MKIV with Ron Francis wiring and Russ VW column, it eliminated the turn signal toggle switch and the Hi/Low beam toggle switch.
I used the latching relay and the push button on the end of the turn signal lever for the hi/low beam. The turn signal lever, up and down for turn signal. I did have to use the toggle switch for the haz flasher. Not wired yet, but bought the small female spade connectors for it.
I also used Russ's hand drawn diagram for the wiring, which for me was more accurate for my application.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
The wiring diagram you posted, along with the RT assembly, eliminates the turn signal switch and the high/low beam switch. Assuming you use the momentary switch on the RT turn signal stalk for high/low beam. You still need a separate hazard switch. Also, you don't need a separate hazard indicator. Wired per the RT schematic (as well as the standard RF schematic) both turn signal indicators flash when the hazard is on. That should do the job.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul,

Is the High/Low Beam switch the same as the Dimmer switch shown in the Ron Francis chassis diagram?

Damien

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are good functions to monitor for the Check Engine indicator? I have a Gen 1 Coyote but I don't think I have a MIL function to monitor.

Thanks,

Damien

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Is the High/Low Beam switch the same as the Dimmer switch shown in the Ron Francis chassis diagram?
Yes.

What are good functions to monitor for the Check Engine indicator? I have a Gen 1 Coyote but I don't think I have a MIL function to monitor.
The Gen 1 Coyote control pack doesn't include an MIL. Not sure what you can do there. IMO, make sure the ODB2 port is easily accessible and you can use any one of a number of available scanners to check and monitor real time if you want.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,715 Posts
Russ Thompson TS switch

Just a precautionary note - never connect direct power for your headlights or horn to the RT momentary switch, it is NOT rated to hold up to that amount of current. Always use relays for high current loads.

Doc :beerchug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts