Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...I’m working on the wiring of my Mk4 roadster and need some help to figure out what I did wrong. Actually I have two problems. First, the brake lights come on as soon as the cut-off switch is turned on and secondly, when I try to go to the high beams with the Russ Thompson turn signal button the high beam turns off. The first problem I am assuming (I hate to assume anything) is the brake light switch is not adjusted properly. I was surprised that they would come on without the ignition switch being turned on...is that normal? With the high beam going off when the button is pushed in, did I wire something wrong or could I have a bad relay? The head lights are wired as follows:

White - Hi Beam
Red - Low Beam

Thanks in advance for your help on this issue....PLUS...thanks to everyone on the Forum over the last year and half that has helped me every single day to get to where I am today. Whenever I had an issue or needed some direction I would just go to the Forum and search the problem and presto, you guys would have all the answers. Without all you I would still be sitting in the garage trying to figure out what the Factory Five build manual was actually trying to tell me.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Harold

7,976 Posts
You probably have a defective relay. Take the cover off and watch how it works. Once you see what it does, it will be easy to see how to fix it. As for your brake lights, is it the stock mustang switch or the complete kit switch? Most cars brake lights come on with out the key on.
Mike

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, I have the complete kit with the standard Factory Five supplied brake switch. There are two relays in the Russ Thompson turn signal wiring, the VW and the Bosch. I’m assuming (here I go again) you’re suggesting to open the Bosch relay since the VW looks like it would not come apart easily?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.