Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I've got. Roger's wire diet,EFI,extended Passenger footbox. Looking for ideas on bringing the harness into the engine compartment and mounting the computer. Is it best to run the rear harness on the passenger or drivers side of the transmission tunnel? Are the rear harnes wires above or below the trunk aluminum for wiring the tail lights. As always thanks for any help.

·
7,716 Posts
There is a hole in the firewall for passing the wiring harness to the engine area. If you are going the donor route, you should have saved the large rubber grommet from the donor.

I went with a carb build and ran the harness down the passenger side of the tunnel, through a 3/4" sq. tube at the front edge of the trunk and under the trunk aluminum.

Basically, lay it out with out fastening anything down and move it around until it makes sense to you.

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Are the rear harnes wires above or below the trunk aluminum for wiring the tail lights.
The tail light wiring can be connected outside the trunk aluminum, except you will have to route a couple of wires into the trunk for the license plate light and ground. I connected all my lighting wiring using weather pack connectors. It makes it much eaiser to test circuits and re configure the pins in the connector, instead of cutting and splicing if you make a mistake. John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ray, the pass through was originally on top of the passenger footbox. Anyone have a picture of it coming through the firewall?

·
7,716 Posts
On mine, a MK-I.5, there was a hole in the firewall and the computer harness went through another hole in top of the passenger foot-box.

Ray

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Al,

I have a MK III that was designed for the computer harness bundle to go through the firewall right near the windshield bar on the passenger side. The computer was then specified to be mounted inside the passenger footbox on the outboard wall. The problem with this is that the wire bundle comes in through the firewall and wraps over the 2x2 tube below the dash. In the finished car you end up with this big wire loom near the passenger's right knee. I skipped this idea and put my harness bundle through the footbox lid, just like the MK IIs.

·
2,990 Posts
Below are a few pictures of how I ran my wiring to the back of the car. It is a 4.6 build but hopefully you can get some ideas from them. The first picture shows the wiring thru the firewall on the bottom left of the picture. I did change the location of my battery cut off switch from the trunk to the back of the tunnel.

·
2,990 Posts
One more.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...helped a lot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts