Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm looking for a few ideas on routing my fuel lines through the rear end. I have mounted the fuel filter in the location identified in the manual. However, the pictures supplied are from a 3 link. With the IRS, there is all sorts of stuff in the way of a direct line run.

I am thinking of stopping the hard lines somewhere up the 2x3 post and then using rubber lines the rest of the way.????

I could really use a few pictures from guys who have IRS to show me how they have run their lines.

As always, thanks!

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,782 Posts
i have a mkIII with irs and the ffmetal battery box. i used aeroquip blue push on 6an line for the hose and aeroquip fittings mounted a russell fuel filter to the side of the battery box using a conduit hanger from home depot went through one of the triangles in the frame then used 3/8 stainless tubing and bent it and secured it to the right outside 4 inch tube came up right in front of thepass foot box then ran the aeroquip hose again to the regulator and to the feed at the back of the motor. there was a post with some
good pictures in the 2004 archives.

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,782 Posts
check out the post on may 31 04 that is how i got the idea to do mine

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
I did it very similar to Wrench.

Used -6 AN braided line from mechanical fuel pump up to passenger side 4" rail in front of footbox. Ran stainless 3/8 line along the outside of the 4" rail and then up the 2x3 a bit below the trunk floor. From there I used rubber line (cheaper than braided and easier to work with, fine for a low pressure mechanical pump) to run up to my FF Metal battery box. I welded in a new frame tube for my filter and also to support the battery box (you could just bolt it to the box aluminum or the orginial frame brace). Then again rubber line up to the tank. I left a 2ft coil of rubber hose on top of the tank so I can drop it without having to disconnect the fuel lines if there is a problem (e.g. with the fuel sender etc).

I will try to get some pictures next time I work on the car.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
I just finished this up a couple of weeks ago. I'm using a modified Forte pickup, -8 lines and an Aeromotive pump, all connected to a length of 1\2" thinwall stainless steel tube. The regulator will mount near the F panel, and -6 lines will run to the carb. I'm using a pre pilter, and the red Aeromotive filter pictured. BTW, this if for a carbed application. I wanted the fuel line to come in from the front, so I wouldn't have to worry about heated fuel and vapor lock. John

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I used the fuel lines from FFR. Here are some pics of the process. The only thing you have to be sure of is to have the downcomers at the rear of the car far enough forward so they dont hit the lower control arm. I did the vapor line under the car in rigid tube also, plastic from the tank to the connection under the car.

·
Charter Member
265 Posts
Thanks SGSpeed, that is exactly what I was looking for. I must have missed a few parts, I have the short fuel line hoses but cant find the hose that locks on to the fuel pump like in your 3rd picture.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
The hose that locks onto the fuel pump is supposed to be put together from donor parts. You take the ends off the donor hoses and make a new hose. Mine were trashed. I bought a new one, from Breeze I think. It is a good idea to buy this kind of thing new.They have o-rings inside and mine was an 89, they were shot. It was pretty cheap.

·
Charter Member
265 Posts
Mine look like they are in good shape and they are braided stainless that connect to solid tubing that is extremely difficult to bend. Should I cut the tube and flair it and then use the supplied fuel hose? Or buy new?

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
If I had my druthers I would buy this part new. If the ends are good then I guess you could use them as you described. In my 89 donor this hose was plastic with loom covering, it was easy to get the ends out. Yours looks like a different story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts