Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is an idea I always thought would be great for the GTM however I was leaning more toward a 4 rotor naturally aspirated. The power and the sounds associated with that seem perfect for a GTM, particularly if you are a fan of the 787B. I like what you're doing here and hope somebody else is brave enough to follow you.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks! It's been quite easy so far...
I'm willing to put a 3 or 4 rotor in it if someone has one to donate...

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks! It's been quite easy so far...
I'm willing to put a 3 or 4 rotor in it if someone has one to donate...
Right! There are shops that specialize in building them but I'm not familiar with any of them personally. I just know they exist having seen many youtube vids and internet adds.

Two words for you though.
Apex
Seals

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
"Apex
Seals"
I've been running the 2MM Apex seals and limiting the ignition to 8500 RPM's with great success!
This turbo set up is 20 years old and still has perfect compression. After tear down, I could not find any measurable wear and this engine has been raced hard for years. I do premix my fuel and watch the water temp gauge.
I know of rotary engines that have raced 24 hr endurance races and don't show any wear..

The GTM is getting close to be driven and I may have to tune out a little power to keep the torque down so it's more manageable in the tight corners.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
8500 probably keeps everything happy. For the record, I use ceramic apex seals and have never had a failure. The same cannot be said for when I was running steel seals.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
You do understand that those last two pictures are fake mock ups, right?

They look like YouTube teaser pics that people create...totally absurd.

If you don't know why, let me enlighten, as I have built MANY rotaries with my own two hands.

What you have there are engines created out of two standard steel end housings and then just a repeat of standard two rotor engine intermediate housings and rotor housings over and over again. This is an impossibility to actually function, and here's why.

Those steel intermediate housings work on a two rotor design because the distance between the front and rear end housings is small and the main bearings are able to come in from either end and sufficiently support the eccentric shaft. (Equivalent of the crank shaft on a regular piston engine.) Not to mention the fact that these same bearing assemblies also carry the stationary gear that the rotor must rotate around. The problem comes in when more than two rotors are used in that now the eccentric shaft has to be multiple piece and the middle intermediate housings must be wider in order to support both the stationary gear and the eccentric shaft bearing support. You will notice these wider intermediate housings on any real picture of rotary engines that have more than 2 rotors and actually function.

There is no way around this. Even if someone wanted to just make a long eccentric shaft and keep adding housings, totally disregarding the need for the stationary gears to actually have a functioning engine, the thing would explode almost immediately. Can you imagine what would happen if you built a straight six engine and left all the main bearings out except for the first and last ones? That is what we are being asked to believe is shown here. Completely ridiculous.

BTW, here is a picture of a REAL four rotor...

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You do understand that those last two pictures are fake mock ups, right?

They look like YouTube teaser pics that people create...totally absurd.
Not to mention where the exhaust would need to exit...

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 6-rotor is from a company called PPRE. They put it in an RX-4 @ 813 RWHP. There's even a Road&Track article about it. At Idle it sounds like a 2000hp twin-turbo V8 camming. When he's driving it stabbing the gas, there's six-foot of smoke to match the number of rotors. IT IS RIDICULOUS, but very real. *CORRECTION ON MY PART*(The very last pic I have now changed to the correct exhaust side pic for the PPRE engine. I had the wrong one, that may have spawned your vaporware idea) The 12 rotor is from a guy named Tyson Garvin. He's putting it in a performance boat. (815 HP on single carb - initial test) Predicted output 1440HP (N/A), 5000+HP @ 50LBS. I've seen them running in videos. What do I know I'm just a junior member with 20 posts right?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to mention where the exhaust would need to exit...
All you need is some snake taming and voila! With the smaller diameter tubing of the rotary exhaust, you'd be able to make even smoother transitions in the same amount of space compared to the large V8 Exhaust. It would be a much lighter exhaust system, you might not even need a support for it... I don't see a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Guys, I'm a rotary fan through a group of my friends going back to the eighties and first gen N/A carb cars. I never owned one but have driven and worked on a bunch. Fantastic engine choice for a road-race car for sure. Cool to see another GTM race car being built. I wasn't trying to high-jack this thread, just added the picks cause they were cool rotary engines, not to start a pissing contest of knowledge.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Guys, I'm a rotary fan through a group of my friends going back to the eighties and first gen N/A carb cars. I never owned one but have driven and worked on a bunch. Fantastic engine choice for a road-race car for sure. Cool to see another GTM race car being built. I wasn't trying to high-jack this thread, just added the picks cause they were cool rotary engines, not to start a pissing contest of knowledge.
Its your lack of knowledge on rotaries that I think most people don't even correct you on... Like in your last post when you said "smaller diameter tubing of the rotary exhaust" The exhaust ports on rotary are over 2" in diameter! About 1.75 on a LS engine. And the rotary exhaust runs way hotter than any LS engine...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your comment was just a jab in the first place. Why couldn't the exhaust go where you need it? Regardless of diameter? You guys are the rotary gurus and you didn't know someone had built a 6-rotor? 3 years ago? This has gotten silly at this point. Next Crash will tell me about how expensive/unreliable/inefficient the 6-rotor is... duh, still runs. I'm not talking about putting either one of these things in anything, just that they were cool. Forget it.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
I thought we were going to have a nice discussion here. Instead of getting all butt hurt, why not just point me to the pictures where it shows how they modify things to make it work?

I see they DO use multiple piece eccentric shafts, and they modify the intermediate housings with a small bearing and stationary gear assembly. I do have my doubts as to how robust this setup will be, but they could have a functioning engine doing this.

Interesting, to say the least, and 20 years ago I know there was a company here states side that was trying this on a 4 rotor setup. For some reason there is not a whole lot currently available on this project. My guess is that the issues started piling up pretty quick with heat and reliability. I do see some videos of working engines, just not a whole lot of follow up. Probably a good reason for that.

PPRE Quad-Rotor Crank Kit ? Pulse

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
New GTM Rotary Video

I should have some videos to share soon of the Rotary running in my GTM.
The sound of it at idle is different from any thing you ever heard. It should sound great when running at high rpm's in gear.
Now if I could figure out how to load videos...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts