Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im feed up with this cruise control. Time is running out and I need this thing operational.
My first problem is that of the dash mount control switch.250-3592. The instructions have you check "the 3 wires extending from the rheostat". I have the for supplied gm switch. I have looked and there are not 3 wires that I can see. Any one know which wires extend from the rheostat? dash lights, dome?????

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
MIke

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,560 Posts
Im feed up with this cruise control. Time is running out and I need this thing operational.
My first problem is that of the dash mount control switch.250-3592. The instructions have you check "the 3 wires extending from the rheostat". I have the for supplied gm switch. I have looked and there are not 3 wires that I can see. Any one know which wires extend from the rheostat? dash lights, dome?????

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
MIke
I use that same control without issues. Email or let me know what you're trying to do and I'll take a look. I assume you're using the electronic version, and what transmission are you connecting it to, what VSS, etc.

Glenn

·
Junior Charter Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks in advance. My first issue, more will likely declare themselves later, is with regards to just wiring the control switch. All wires in the control switch harness have a final destination except for the blue and gray. The instructions below are from rostra site.

6) Test for Proper Connection of Blue and Gray Wire.
A) Turn on parking lights and keep them on during this entire procedure.
B) Adjust dash light rheostat until dash lights are as bright as possible.
C) With one end of the test light grounded, probe each of the 3 wires extending
from the rheostat.
1) If the test light turns on twice, go to D). 2) If the test light turns on once, go to E).

D) With the test light still grounded, probe each of the 2 wires that caused the test
light to turn on in C) while at the same time adjusting the dashlight rheostat from dim to bright.
1) Locate the wire that causes the test light to vary from dim to bright
(along with the dash light).
2) Connect the wire found to the GRAY wire from the dashmount switch.
3) Finally, connect the BLUE wire from the dashmount switch to GROUND.
E) With one end of the test light connected to +12 Volts, probe each of the
3 wires extending from the rheostat and locate the 2 wires that turn on the test
light.
FORM #2560, Rev.D, 05-13-11

1) With the test light still at +12 Volts, probe each of these 2 wires while at the same time adjusting the dashlight rheostat from dim to bright.
2) Locate the wire that causes the test light to vary from dim to bright (along with the dash light).
3) Connect this wire to the Blue wire that extends from the dashmount switch.
4) Finally, connect the GRAY wire to +12 Volts.

Also I’m using tko600.
Thanks again
Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you got the unit from--- The cruise control store .com--- Call them they are very good with help.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,560 Posts
Thanks in advance. My first issue, more will likely declare themselves later, is with regards to just wiring the control switch. All wires in the control switch harness have a final destination except for the blue and gray. The instructions below are from rostra site.

6) Test for Proper Connection of Blue and Gray Wire.
A) Turn on parking lights and keep them on during this entire procedure.
B) Adjust dash light rheostat until dash lights are as bright as possible.
C) With one end of the test light grounded, probe each of the 3 wires extending
from the rheostat.
1) If the test light turns on twice, go to D). 2) If the test light turns on once, go to E).

D) With the test light still grounded, probe each of the 2 wires that caused the test
light to turn on in C) while at the same time adjusting the dashlight rheostat from dim to bright.
1) Locate the wire that causes the test light to vary from dim to bright
(along with the dash light).
2) Connect the wire found to the GRAY wire from the dashmount switch.
3) Finally, connect the BLUE wire from the dashmount switch to GROUND.
E) With one end of the test light connected to +12 Volts, probe each of the
3 wires extending from the rheostat and locate the 2 wires that turn on the test
light.
FORM #2560, Rev.D, 05-13-11

1) With the test light still at +12 Volts, probe each of these 2 wires while at the same time adjusting the dashlight rheostat from dim to bright.
2) Locate the wire that causes the test light to vary from dim to bright (along with the dash light).
3) Connect this wire to the Blue wire that extends from the dashmount switch.
4) Finally, connect the GRAY wire to +12 Volts.

Also I’m using tko600.
Thanks again
Mike
Basically this is just to illuminate the backlight on the control unit. I used the Gray wire to the dash light circuit. You don't need to have it dim when lights are on as it's not bright anyway. I would connect the Gray to your dash lights. You may not need to use the Blue wire to ground, check after connecting Gray wire.

If you're using LED lights on your gauges, you'll need a LED Rheostat to control the dimming. Your basic 12v switch for regular bulbs won't do it.

If you have the new electronic version Rostra CC, you can connect that to the TKO sender on the right rear. You may need to get the male plug harness if you didn't get one with the transmission. Also, you can run your electronic speedometer from the same sender. I think the sender gives a 12000ppm signal for the CC. Speedo doesn't care.

·
Junior Charter Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do. I’ll post an update along with my many other questions. Hope this works. I plan on driving to Huntington Beach cruise in this year and need all the help I can get.
Thanks
mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts