Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the awesome pictures of Kevin's car, and it brought up a question.

Could someone please explain the history/philosophy behind the rookie stripes? I've never exactly understood...

All the best,
Tag

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My understanding is that they're there as a warning to other drivers that you're a rookie. In SCCA they use a big 'X' on the doors for the same purpose.

·
5,042 Posts
If you are talking about the two stripes that are seen on the front fender of a car, these are also called 'team stripes'. They were used to distinguish one car from the other for a team with more than one car in the same livery.

Warning of a rookie in Europe is a cros on the back of the car. It is assumed that rookies are being overtaken and should be given a wide berth!

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
That's true wrt to rookie stripes, but the fender stripes aren't rookie stripes.

They're team stripes, designed to give the pit crew a clear sign as to which car is passing where there are a number of cars in otherwise very similar liveries.

Edit - Snap

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Although I think we've now established that you're talking about team stripes....the time trial club I run with requires 3 stripes be applied to the rear of the car until you have some number of days on the track. This helps other drivers in practice to understand why a rookie car is driving so far off line or breaking in weird places.

·
4,494 Posts
The Rookie stripes are for the reasons stated above, warning to others when overtaking or being passed. In NASCAR, a Rookie is required to have a Red/Orange stripe along the bottom of the front airdam and rear bumper during their first season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts