Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of rebuilding my 5.0 HO, I am reusing the production heads (E7TE)and would like roller rocker arms, pedistal mount type. I'm looking at Ford performance or Crane. Can anyone offer advice that have used either one.
Thanks

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Use the Ford/Crane Cobra bolt down Rockers , cheap tested tough by Ford and me. I've got about 60k on a set with a stage 1 TFS cam in my 351 Lightning. The shims are a bit of a pain but follow the directions. If the engine has never been apart they should go on with no shims . If you have to go more than .045 on the shims I get different pushrods. My never been apart engine took 0 shims . My 351 took .015 but thats got milled heads (.015) etc . Good luck Bob

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your saying use the Ford Racing rockers part # M6564B351 is this correct?, Thanks for the input.

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
related question here, I bought the crane ones and have not installed them yet. Are these going to need guides? I thought I could call Crane but the answer here might help others. Thanks in advance....Steven

·
5,559 Posts
Steven, only the stud mounted ones require guides.

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
wasn't sure because in the description under self aligning it says......... no. But I like you thought only stud mounted ones needed them. the self aligning no in the description has thrown me off..............Steven

·
Junior Charter Member
815 Posts
Scorpion roller-rockers. You can get them for around $200+ from Keith Craft. They put them in their engines.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
The self aligning statement is in reference to certain rockers that used an upside-down u-shaped tip to keep the end of the rocker arm aligned with the valve.

I think they were also called rail rockers on Fords. I had them on my 68 289. I believe small block Chevys from 87 - 2000 use something similar.

Here is a picture of a small block Chevy roller rocker that is self aligning. The small disk on each side of the roller straddles the end of the valve:

Steve

[ July 06, 2007, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Porxter ]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks to all for the info, I ordered the Crane rockers yesterday, the kit includes shims. I guess I'll need to check valve to piston clearance during assembly. With an "E" cam and 1.7 ratio rocker I figured a lift at the valve of about .528 in. instead of the stock .498 in. Using stock 5.0 ford pistons with valve relief cut in the tops.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Close enough.
My math says .529" lift.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.