Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ford 302 crate engine and I am concerned about the clearance between the top of my rocker arms and my new valve covers.

If I remove the oil drip tabs from the inside of the covers there is plenty of room.

Is that ok?

Jon

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
Oil deflectors

You might just want to "dent" the deflector tabs a bit. Others have complained about the rocker just underneath it, throwing oil out the fill tube if the baffle is completely removed.

HTH

Doc :beerchug:

·
Charter Member
1,774 Posts
get a can of Play-Doh and roll up a small ball. Put it on top of the rocker, then set the cover in place without a gasket. Push the cover down and then remove. Check the impression in the Play-Doh.

Dwight

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,027 Posts
Don't know which valve covers you are switching to, but another forum member did a nice write up with pics on how to modify a set of the finned cobra valve covers to work. I followed his process and it worked on mine.
Forum name dv/dt. I had a link saved but it no longer works. You might try to pm him.

·
Premium Member
16,633 Posts
Here's the write-up I did a while back on my mod to use the FRPP F302 "Cobra" valve covers:

I used the F302 covers on my 302 with a small mod. My config is Edlebrock Performer RPM heads with Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers. I am also using the Felpro thick gasket (1645). I started by placing play dough on the adjusting nuts to check for clearance. The covers were then installed and torqued down (4 lb-ft - spec is 3 to 5 lb-ft). As you can see there was some slight contact as the dough was squeezed out on part of the nut (sorry this pic is fuzzy):

Here is the baffle before reshaping:

I remove the baffle and reshaped as shown here:

There are three stand offs under the baffle.

I trimed the two outboard ones (the right ones in the pic) to allow the baffle to fit properly:

The baffle was reinstalled and the play dough was rechecked with the following results.

Lot's of clearance.

Cheers, Rod

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the write-up I did a while back on my mod to use the FRPP F302 "Cobra" valve covers:

Cheers, Rod
Yes, Those are my valve covers. Very clever method.
I will try it this week.

This forum seems to have an answer for everything!

-Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.