Charter Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I set adjustable rockers?

[ December 18, 2004, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: FordGuy ]

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I presume you have hydrolic lifters? you list b cam.

If so roll the engine over till the lifter is on base of cam no lift. Turn pushrod by fingers and tighten rocker nut until pushrod starts to get tension. Add 1/2 to 3/4 turn more (this sets the lash). Tighten the jamb for the adjuster nut. Repeat for each lifter/rocker combo.

·
Charter Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats it? I thought that I had to run the engine and adjust while running.

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Mike,

You did need to adjust them with the engine running, but that was the "old way" of adjusting the rockers. Adjust as Don suggests and everything should be OK.

Hank

·
Charter Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Edelebrock heads and crane cam adjustable roller rockers with posi locks. It seems that I am only catching about five threads and the posi locks dissapear when tightend. Is this normal? I figure that they should go half way on the stud at least.

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Mike,

It could be a case of having too long a push rod. Since you have switch heads, I'd call Edelbrock and ask them what they recommend the length should be. Make sure you give them all the details you know about your engine. Deck height, whether or not the heads have been milled, Cam, Type of lifters, and current length of push rods. Should give them enough information to trouble shoot your problem.

Hank

·
Charter Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are the stock push rods hardend? I have a 86 motor. I held the new push rods up to the stock ones and there is a 1/2" difference.

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Mike,

I don't know if the stock ones are hardened, but I suspect you’ve found the problem. I’d still call Edelbrock.

Hank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts