Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at my gauge pod and my speedo says 107347 miles is there an easy way to roll it back to zero.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Pete, please don't take offense, but since your asking a question like this,and you only have 3 posts, my response is: It's illegal to roll the odometer back! ;)
Rob
Just call me paranoid. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just reviewed the old thread refered to and I am unclear as to what the odometer really applies to as far as any law is concerned.

Does the mileage on an odometer apply to the chassis, engine, the vehicle as a whole or just the odomoeter?

If I build an FFR and I go the traditional donor route I would assume that if my donor had 120K then the odometer should remain 120K. But just to play devil's advocate here, what if I build an FFR and I use all donor parts except the engine. Say I drop a new crate motor in it. Should the odometer still read 120K ??

I'm guessing this is somewhat of a grey area unless someone has more info.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
if you read those laws the key words are "with purpose to defaud",even the link that was attached shows how you document whether it was repaired and set to zero or if it wasn't reset,thats like saying if your 93 stang with 60k miles breaks that you cant replace it with a 90k speedo from the junk yard and roll the speedo back to reflect the true milage,you can,if your worried just take pics before and after,or when you sell the car just check the box "true milage unknown"if you keep the car it doesnt matter,because your not defrauding anyone...vinny

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good point on the "intent to defraud" language. I don't want to sound like most people who buy a car and say/think they will keep it forever and then trade in 2-1/2 years. I really intend on building one and keeping it 4ever. I have dreamed about this car for 25yrs!

Maybe I should start a new thread on this but speaking of odometers, does anyone have any pictures of the donor guages in an FFR dash? If there is a link I would appreciate it!

·
Senior Charter Member
393 Posts
It's easy to get wrapped up in appearences and intentions, but the challenge is having a rolled-back odometer with evidence of tampering installed in the car if it's ever sold. How it got there and why can easily get lost in the heat of the discussion.

Odometer tampering generally falls under the category of "forbidden practices" where the reasons for not doing it far outweigh any arguments in favor.

·
Registered
156 Posts
While the real answer probably lies at the whim of a local DMV person rather than any reasoned approach, I'd submit that leaving the donor odometer at the donor milage makes no more sense than running up the milage on a brand new odometer to match the donor. I think the odometer is supposed to indicate the vehicle milage. JMO

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
This is another one of those items (posts) that smokes me.

1. You Own The Car.
2. More than 50% of it is BRAND NEW.
3. Is the mileage really important?
4. Would you tell someone if you ever sold it. (uh...by the way, it has more than 5 miles on it.)
5. You built it.
and
6. My donor title was already marked, Vechicle Mileage may not actual.

7. Pull the pin on the odometer numbers and set the SOB to what ever you want.

My car has 5,871 miles on it. Only the transmission wasn't rebuit. So put me in jail! But, if you come with'em to get me...Bring plenty of BIG Guns.

Now who wants to go a round on titles. Here in SC there still registering them as 1965's!! Just found a new builder this weekend. He went to Columbia with his COA and got a 1965 title.

Well No, I've never broken the law, Not Once!!

Mike
FFR 2335

1 - 10 of 10 Posts