Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, I'm just full of questions today! My body didn't come with roll bar holes cut out. Any suggestions or ideas before I begin hacking the body?

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
It's not going to be easy. Get a section of pipe with the same inside diameter as the roll bar. Measure the distance from the trunk floor to the body, and cut the pipe 1-2" shorter than that. Now cut it in half length wise. By placing the pipe against the welded in stub, you can project the location of the stub up to the body. Dril 4-6 small holes up from the bottom in the correct circle pattern. Now use a jigsaw from the top to rough in the hole. Now use the support leg to grind out the hole to the correct specs.

If you overdo it, you'll have to fill it in with fiberglass. Wrap the roll bar in wax paper, and set it down on the stubs. Now you can fill in around the holes with the correct fiberglass repair material.

A good set of bezels will cover up a lot of mistakes.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I was happy to be within 3/8". It's not that critical. I used cardboard tubes on the lower mount points to allow me to position a pencil on the underside of the body.

I remember reading about someone using a LASER pointer to shoot a dot on the underbody.

If you plan on using trim rings just go for it. If you want a bare look, start small and trim as you fit the bars.

BTW, If you plan on a close fit make sure you have the body mounts all properly set i.e. the quick jacks, windshield, and doors fit with all the required shims at the lower body mount points. These things can change the final location of the roll bar holes.

·
Banned
212 Posts
The factory holes look great, round & even - but not in the correct location. The hole closest to the center of the car is at least 1/4" off. The body cutout option is worth more before you see the car; less after you realize it's not that hard to do and even less when you have to redo the factory work anyway.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
not sure where you are in the build, but make sure your body is bolted down before you measure & cut. Once we bolted my body in, my roll bar holes had to be trimmed because the body moved a bit.

Since your cutting holes, you might as well do it once and not have to open them up again.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. The body is bolted down, hood, doors and trunk hung, and just finidhing up loose ends. Then, paint!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ed

Two suggestions. 1- The hooped roll bar leans backwards a few degrees so when you cut your holes be a wear of this. 2- For the down tube I did the same as boB did except I drilled one hole in the center of the circle. Threaded a string through the hole and taped one end to the roll bar receptor in the truck and taped the other end to the hooped roll bar. In doing it this way the string will give you the outside edge of the rollbar down tube. Hope this helps.

David,

·
Senior Charter Member
768 Posts
I drilled a small hole in the center of the hole that FFR marked on the body. Used a flaslight in the rollbar mount to make sure it looked good. Opened up the hole little by little using pvc pipe pieces to make sure I was still lined up. Worked great and didn't reall take that long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts