Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to drill the holes for the roll bar bolts. I'm going with black powdercaot and I wanted to drill the holes before getting them coated.

For the lower bolts I don't see that it really matters what direction they go, but the upper bolt is very visible. I was thinking that front to back with the car but at the angle of the rear supprot would stick out less. But my wife things that going left to right across the bar would look more natural. What do you think? Anyone have good pictures that would help me decided?

I know I should start with a small bit and go larger to get to the 5/16, but are there any other great tips? I was actually thinking about putting the bar on my drill press to get the holes on the bar straight. Then after putting the bars in place, using a hand drill to make the holes in the mounting points.

Thanks for the help! --Bret

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Yes...here is a tip and "ASK ME HOW I KNOW".

On the top drilling. Go through the first layer. THEN STOP and CATCH YOUR BREATH, RELAX.Go to the side of the car and look at the entry angle. Make sure you are going straight. There is only a little bit of metal that you have to go through to catch everything. I Missed mine and now have to go the welder to fill the holes and start over. Long story short, take your time and do this when you are not tired.

my 2 cents worth.

-Kouros

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts
As far as function goes, it doesn't matter. Do it either way that looks good to you. Personally, I have mine going up and down.

·
1,569 Posts
I tack welded a threaded tube into the inner tube. I attach it with two round head allen head bolts that FFR sends to mount the body. Very clean and guaranteed to pass any tech inspection.

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Great tips.

Jester, Like Rickster, I'd like a little more information on your setup. I didn't quite follow it all.

I've considered the wonderful hidden roll bar kit, but I have 2 roll bars and $140 made me think that I can live with the bolts. I figure I'll get out a little black paint and touch up the bolts so they aren't as obvious with the black rollbars.

Thanks! --Bret

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
I did them so the nut is hidden out of sight behind the bar. Front to back. Made it trickier to tighten them up (glad nobody was around with a camera during that build step!) but it wasn't too bad.

[ December 08, 2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Wolverine ]

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Rod. As always you're pictures are greatly helpful. That is a great idea (similar to the nuts on the inside of the tube). It allows for a much smaller bolt head protuding and I could probably even get one of the black allen head bolts that would blend right in.

Very cool. This forum is truly the best!
Thanks, Bret

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Rod's picture will require LH threads on one of the bolts. Two nuts welded in place would be a better option.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Donald. We can learn a lot from the aircraft industry. It makes sense to put the bolt on top.

Fred, I don't think that's true. Do bolts go into nuts on just one side? In my experience, it doesn't matter which direction you have the nut. So just pretend this long threaded tube is just a really long nut. Then just picture putting one bolt into this long nut from each direction. I think it should work. (but the nuts will probably be easier to come by).

The "drilling help" post is really good too. (I just printed it out for reference during this weekend's work :)). I'm having a ball with this project. --Bret

·
Premium Member
16,317 Posts
FFRed,
No it wouldn't, do your nuts thread differently from one side versus the other? Think about it now! :D And the threaded tube would have to be tack welded into the tube. Could even do it on finished bars since the place you weld it in (the stepdown tube on the hoop portion) is not coated.

Hey NAGA, the up I can understand but the forward? Do you guys only ever accelerate?? :D :D

Cheers, Rod

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Geek, Rod, Rickster - I stand corrected, don't know what I was thinking there. And D - The bolt head up, nut down is SOP in all industries I've been involved in. In steel buildings, it easy for an inspector on the ground to see if nuts are missing from bolts if the nuts are on the bottom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts